Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Question???

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:30 AM
  • 13 Replies
Hi everyone,

Most of you know the issues that I've been dealing with when it comes to my sons private preschool. He only goes till the end of May. So it's only a month and a half.

But we started a log of what Nicolas is eating and drinking. Nicolas doesn't drink anything there most days. Some he takes a couple sips. (Their words) when we went to the munch with mom, they had open small cups. (The same as the private school) and he was so anxious about it. He only took a couple sips and you could see he was very anxious about it. ( I know he was thirsty)

My question is, should I ask the private school to give him a straw in the cup? I think if he had a straw, he would drink it. It is starting to get warmer and they are going on the playground. And he isn't getting any liquids. Or should I let it go and just have him a drink when he gets in the truck?
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Can you send him in with his own cup with the lid and straw in it already? Juice box, drink, whatever? I remember you had an issue with them and snack time, but I forget if this was a problem then?

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

My son's preschool gives any of the kids straws that want them.  I don't think that is an outlandish request.  If you think he is not drinking because of the open cup situation may be difficult, yes I'd ask for a straw, sippy, whatever you think he needs to be successful.  My daughter even still has a bottle and they are trying like 6 different cups with her.  It's about what each kid needs, just ask. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 8:43 AM

This is a good idea too.  Fair to send his own. 

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Can you send him in with his own cup with the lid and straw in it already? Juice box, drink, whatever? I remember you had an issue with them and snack time, but I forget if this was a problem then?

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Just based on how they have reacted in the past, I'd send his own cup.
Or give them a choice, he can have a straw at school or use a cup from home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Sure, I have found that my son who is 5 still likes drinking from a straw even though he can drink from a cup normally.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Buy a box of straws at the dollar store and give them. 

BTW/54-2/ are great propioceptive input!,,, good for him!,, 

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Oh, I called the director and she is going to let him bring his cup. That was just too easy! I found out why though. It was because he is being denied the scholarship for next year. So, our options are very slim now.

Quoting SamMom912:

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Did they give a reason for his scholarship being denies?  I hope they aren't stepping on his civil rights

Quoting Nickmom1118: Oh, I called the director and she is going to let him bring his cup. That was just too easy! I found out why though. It was because he is being denied the scholarship for next year. So, our options are very slim now.
Quoting SamMom912:

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Apr. 10, 2014 at 2:35 PM
They just said that they only have so much money and they gave it to someone with a greater need. That there is a single mom with 2 kids. So, they can't give us any discount or help if we still want to go there.

Quoting Gloria1025:

Did they give a reason for his scholarship being denies?  I hope they aren't stepping on his civil rights

Quoting Nickmom1118: Oh, I called the director and she is going to let him bring his cup. That was just too easy! I found out why though. It was because he is being denied the scholarship for next year. So, our options are very slim now.
Quoting SamMom912:

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Oh, Im sorry... I have to say... I didnt like that school.. so in a way Im glad something else WONDERFUL will need to work out for Nick. One door closes... another door opens. HUG. I know its hard.. but... I know something great is a round the corner that you wouldnt have found otherwise.

Quoting SamMom912:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN