Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

What do your kids think about ZOO ?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 9:36 AM
  • 14 Replies

Did your kids love or hate it ?      BIG SCHOOL TRIP to the zoo. And this will happen the day after Jacobs birthday. He will be 6 years old and this is his 1st time. We dont have 1 in r town. So im going with cause its a 45 minute drive. We dont know how he will handle that ride cause he will notice van not bringing him  home. And ya ok i have a major love for animals. Jacob loves animals but that only cats,dogs and guinea pigs. So im not sure what he going to think ? I have been showing him zoo animals in books. But i know this will be soo differnt cause they real. I know it will be a long day for him. Maybe a longer day for me if i need to push him so he dont take off in wheelchair.  But before we go home they also get to play in the zoo park. I have never been in this zoo.      So any advice i need to know ?  I know the school is bringing the kids lunches. But does the staff bring the kids pull ups or do i need to bring some cause im going with ?   Thanks for reading. Im soo excited and i will take lots of pictures i hope .

by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM

My oldest loves the zoo. Right now, my youngest doesn't really like it.

MamaLauri
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:17 AM

It is fantastic you are going with.

It does not hurt to bring a pack with all the essentials in case of emergency. Does he have a favorite stuffed animal? 

I hope they have time for the petting zoo.

Have fun. Let us know how everything went. We like pictures.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM

My 5.5 year old loves the zoo too, it is good that you can go with him.  Most children your son's age are potty trained but if your child needs pullups bring them.  Also bring water or anything else your child needs.  Your son might need to wear a certain shirt to match all the other students.  His teacher can give you knowledge of that need.  You will both have a good time.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:40 PM

The school should take all pullups/meds the kids need.  But when I go along I take my kids' stuff anyway.  I think since you are going Jacob should be fine.  You can always take him off to the side if he needs a little time away from the crowd.  Most kids I think enjoy seeing the animals.  My so had a hard time at the zoo, but it wasn't the animals, it was the crowds/noise from the people.  I would think going on a school day would be much calmer and eliminate a lot of that.  I bet you have a good time. 

Bobcatridge
by Carol on Apr. 12, 2014 at 2:11 PM

We had a nearby.small zoo that I took my.daughter to frequently - only took about 10-15 minutes to get through the whole zoo.  Now we have done a lot of bigger zoos and it is very dependent on the zoo.  I always carried supplies with me and aborted if necessary.  My daughter (3 at the time) absolutely loved the creek area in the Dallas children's zoo.  In San Diego we went to Sea World, The Wild Animal Park, and the zoo.  She was 4 at the time.  She did not like Wild Animal Park - I think the animals were too far away.  She liked the play areas of Sea World but the petting zoo at the regular zoo was her favorite.  She also liked feeding the giraffes at the Santa Barbara Zoo although she did that when she was a little older.  I am very flexible about these trips.  Don't like this, let's get an ice cream and try something else.  Skip the things that don't work and go for those that do work.  Zoo trains are great if you got a kid who needs a change.   For my daughter she always wanted a zoo map to carry. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 12, 2014 at 2:36 PM

My kids love the zoo. The only issue we ever had was when Ashton was 4 he went on a field trip with a summer camp and threw  his hat off into the seal exhibit.  The lady working there had one of the seals get the hat and bring it up to them. All the kids cheered and Ashton was a rock star that day...lol. Fortunately that only happened one time. 

K1tten
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Zion didn't mind it at first. last year was the first time we took him. But, as soon as it got more crowded he wanted to go. He would hide behind me, and beg to leave. As we left you'd swear his butt wa on fire. He couldn't get out of there fast enough. Were going back again this year, get there first thing in the morning before it gets really busy again and see how he does.

I wish you all a fun day, and hope it goes well! =)

RTMJDNTARDIS
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM

she does love the zoo but if we are there for more than 30 minutes, or if we go on a day thats super crowded, she starts to get overwhelmed.

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Apr. 12, 2014 at 3:24 PM
My son loves the zoo! He is 4. He loved it so much last July that we got a membership. We try to go slot when the weather is nice. :)

I would take a bag with whatever he needs.
luvnoah10
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 5:50 AM

Maybe you can go online and look for a zoo scavenger hunt and print off for him...he can look for the animals on his list and check off when he sees them...I have done this for my son in the past ...and he really enjoyed it...we have also done nature trail scavenger hunts!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)