Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Really hoping I'm just overreacting...

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:38 AM
  • 9 Replies

I have noticed lately that when Ben is showing us something like words he goes from right to left.  Now he's usually reading it from memory so he says it right.  The best example I can give is he has a kidz bop cd and he reads kids from right to left and bop from left to right.  Then last night he was in the tub and he has some of those foam letters that stick to the wall.  He put kidz bop on the wall.  Half of the letters were backwards.  I don't know if I'm nuts because he's not yet 4.  If it's something I should just keep an eye on.  Or should I go ahead and bring it up this is ABA therapists and the school.  Anyone else's little one do this?

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Yep... We use to joke that he as learning hebrew (since it is right to left). Sam is an advanced reader in 2nd grade. :) hope that settles some of your fears. I will say.. sams handwriting is horrid.. Lol.. But thats the OT and the graphomotor delays.. But who writes anymore.. Between texting and siri taking notes.. LOL.. 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 8:11 AM

For his age, this could be very common so I would keep watching it, but I would also bring it up to docs/therapists.  They may have something to check out or just have it documented it started now for if you need to go for testing later.  My non ASD son did goofy things like this, flipping letters, etc and we watched him close for dyslexia as it runs in our family.  We could finally get him tested in 2nd grade and then start teaching him how to accommodate it.  At 4/5 we just watched.  

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:22 AM

That sounds pretty common to me. At that age he is ahead in the fact he can read and write it. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now

amonkeymom
by Amy on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:23 PM

I'd keep an eye on it, but I doubt it's anything to worry about.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Normal for children under 6.  I was worries too until I did research on it.

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 14, 2014 at 11:52 PM
I remember my son writing his name completely as a mirror image. It freaked me out but a friend assured me it was him just being smart. And sure enough, that's all it was!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 15, 2014 at 6:21 AM

I think it's being 4 but you could bring it up at ABA. It's probably part of him being a genius!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 15, 2014 at 6:22 AM

LOL! And D's handwriting is still pretty bad at 13! I think he wrote better at 3   =(

Quoting SamMom912:

Yep... We use to joke that he as learning hebrew (since it is right to left). Sam is an advanced reader in 2nd grade. :) hope that settles some of your fears. I will say.. sams handwriting is horrid.. Lol.. But thats the OT and the graphomotor delays.. But who writes anymore.. Between texting and siri taking notes.. LOL.. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:45 PM

These ladies have some good thoughts...hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN