Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My 3 y/o with ASD has turned into a super runner lately.These are the biggest issues.

He jumps all of our baby gates and runs up the stairs, then waits for me to run after him and starts jumping down the stairs at me.

He runs away, specifically from me, in public places and avoids me catching him while laughing the whole time.

He thinks this is all hilarious and doesn't understand any sense of danger. Yesterday he was running into people and they were spilling food/drinks, but he just kept going while laughing and making sure that I wasn't fast enough to catch him. He eventually got out of sight and I had to hunt for him in a fire station.

I have him wear a harness at grocery stores, but what do you do in other situations like a kids' birthday party and is there any way I can get him to stop going up the stairs and jumping down them?

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 6:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
emarin77
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I always made sure I was with my husband when in public with our son.  I used his harness waiting for the bus at school and after.  I would take away the baby gates since they are not working and is a safety issue.  Is there any way you can find a gym for him to go to to get his energy out?  This can tire him out when he is at home.

When my son got older at 4.5 he learned on his own that he can run to his bedroom when angry and that is when he stopped being a runner outside of the house.

bigmessylife
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Unfortunately I'm limited in that department. In the very rare event that my husband is able to go somewhere in public with us he has his hands full with his service dog.

We have to leave the gates up for our other children, but I do long for the day when we can take them down. I'm looking into sports options for him because the only open gym time for kids is during his school/therapy hours :(

Quoting emarin77:

I always made sure I was with my husband when in public with our son.  I used his harness waiting for the bus at school and after.  I would take away the baby gates since they are not working and is a safety issue.  Is there any way you can find a gym for him to go to to get his energy out?  This can tire him out when he is at home.

When my son got older at 4.5 he learned on his own that he can run to his bedroom when angry and that is when he stopped being a runner outside of the house.

bigmessylife
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I really want to get him a gps tracker. Where did you get yours from?

He hasn't gotten away for more than a few seconds yet, but I don't want something to happen and it be to little too late.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: Time to alarm the doors and windows and get him a gps watch. Mine is 17 now.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM
I don't remember it's been such a long time and he doesn't need it anymore. I will look in my old stuff to see what brand it was.

Quoting bigmessylife:

He hasn't gotten away for more than a few seconds yet, but I don't want something to happen and it be to little too late.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA: Time to alarm the doors and windows and get him a gps watch. Mine is 17 now.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:11 PM
My son first ran off at three years of age. Not far but it wouldn't be the last time. I'd start making the house safe for him now IMO.

Quoting bigmessylife:

sandy562
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Quoting Kaaden:

Hi there,

something I have seen in NZ is a autism dog.  The child is harnessed to the dog- usually something like a lab as they are heavy and lazy.  They are trained not to let the child run.  In NZ the cost is covered by the govt.  good luck

that sounds like the best idea yet -

tiffyhamm
by Tiffy on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Aidan would run into oncoming traffic as well, if we weren't holding onto him.  He also has headphones that he loves and pretty much wears everywhere, but he'll still cover his ears when there are too many people and noises, I think he does it out of habit and it somehow calms him.  I have noticed that lately Aidan has been wanting to take this stuffed dog to places with him, and it actually seems to help him out.  So I think I'm going to have to bring that stuffed dog along. 

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Not usually. He would run into oncoming traffic. I finally explained to the dr. that they could either approve the wheelchair or I would sue for malpractice when he got hit by a car.  However, he does do better with the wheelchair. Use noise canceling headphones as well because it sounds like noise may be a big problem. Also having a stuffed animal helps my son. We are getting him a weighted one soon. The wheelchair we have is a convaid cruiser with harness and foot straps (this is to prevent his kicking...)

wildchild.com
by Janine on Apr. 15, 2014 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
My sons a runner to. I always have a firm grip around his" wrist". He can't wiggle out like he could if it was his hand. I have locks & alarms on all my doors & bars on my second floor windows. When we go to b-day partys I guard the doors & basically tail him the whole time.
loreenjh
by New Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a seven year old runner.    When he was three we used a harness that looked like a backpack, so he just wore the backpack every time we went out anywhere and I put the handle when needed. 

There are really no easy answers.  You just have to constantly keep him by you, which is exhausting.  I used his harness basically all the time. If it was a chaotic environment I usually brought a device to entertain him or distract him and we cut our visits short.

Now that mine is seven, he can get oustide if he really wants to no matter how hard we make it, so we have to slow him down at least to give us more of a chance to get him.  FIrst we have signs on every door with a stop sign that says he has to hold a hand (he reads well).  Then, we use several locks on each door.  We also stress to everyone that he does not understand danger and that if they see him alone that they should take his hand as fast as they can because it can be a matter of life and death for him.  He also has an ID bracelet with his name and a note that he is non-verbal and our number.  Lastly, we have this device that we use, especially in the summer.  (http://www.loc8tor.com/loc8tor-plus-pack.html) You can set it to beep when he gets too far from the home unit and you can ask it to find the tag on your child and it will tell you which way to go (if he/she is relatively close).  It gives you some false alarms if he goes to a certain area where the signal doe not reach, but I'd rather have false alarms than have him get out (which happened a couple of time before we had this).

I remember that in my son's preschool the SLP told us that she had good luck with social stories and videos for runners (a video showing what the child was and was not supposed to do that they made just for that child).

One more thing - I took him to the police station and they have him in a book of kids that are at risk for running with special needs.  I hope that something here is helpful for you! 

loreenjh
by New Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM

One more thing - so some active things with him if he is antsy.  One of the best for us is bouncing down a set of stairs several times.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN