Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

This is the end I want him out

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM
  • 30 Replies
I'm too tired is there in a live in facility anywhere near Spokane Wa where an 8 year old can go? Help
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

What happened? I know when I was 14 my parents put me in a facility for three months . They wanted me out after two weeks but they couldn't get me released due to paperwork. It took using the courts to get me out. Putting kids in is easy but getting them out ..... not always even possible.

ballerina.2006
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Look at respite care
5kidsILove
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM
He used scissors and cut up the shirt he was wearing he is 8 and he knows better he could have hurt himself I yelled I shouldn't of yelled I was more mad at me

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

What happened? I know when I was 14 my parents put me in a facility for three months . They wanted me out after two weeks but they couldn't get me released due to paperwork. It took using the courts to get me out. Putting kids in is easy but getting them out ..... not always even possible.

5kidsILove
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM
I homeschool through k12
5kidsILove
by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:43 PM
I've taught him and taught him he scratches up his own arms. He put a paint can on the trampoline when I told him no he can't and why a few weeks later he put the cat on it I stopped him I tell him everyday don't draw on walls he did it a few weeks ago when asked he said only on paper
Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:44 PM
2 moms liked this

That sucks. Just because they know better doesn't mean that they can find that knowledge when they get that thought in their head. It sucks too. Some get a goal and they go to accomplish it and don't realize the true harm until it is done. Then people are mad and they can't take it back. Yelling is not good but it's not horrible either. It happens ..... just like his troubles happen .... with scissors.

I can offer a scissor tip .... locks. You can buy a pad lock or combination lock and slide it through the two loops of the scissors and lock it closed. You still have to watch them because it is still a sharp instrument but they can't cut with them now. I keep all scissors in a tool box with a lock because of the same dang issue. I have one pad locked pair in the kitchen on top of the fridge.

Quoting 5kidsILove: He used scissors and cut up the shirt he was wearing he is 8 and he knows better he could have hurt himself I yelled I shouldn't of yelled I was more mad at me
Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmmm. Would putting him into a public school program actually help him? I homeschool as well but one of my kids had to go to public school for his autism. I had huge issues with Logan and finally I lost it when he put a fork deeply into his arm. We ended up in the ER with me crying and a social worker standing in front of me. I felt like such a failure. But she talked to me and I ended up trying out the public school in our area which sucked. I made some calls and got him into a magnet school in the next city and bussing him in. It really helped. I mean deeply. He ended up going to high school an hour away but it was right for him and worth the extra commute on the bus.  

Disclaimer: I don't want you to think that I feel you are not homeschooling right. It's just some kids need something different. This is only advice. I don't know your situation and can only give ideas that might help.

Quoting 5kidsILove: I homeschool through k12

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Hugs mama...I'm so sorry things are hard right now!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Oh momma I am sorry you are going through this. Does he have a therapist that can work with him on this

ballerina.2006
by Member on Apr. 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM
I second this. My autistic son will be attempting public for Kinder but for so we can get a more accurate grasp on all of his issues and their severity. His doctors think he'll be able to at least pick up on some some skills to help his adhd if not help some wih his autism too.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Hmmmm. Would putting him into a public school program actually help him? I homeschool as well but one of my kids had to go to public school for his autism. I had huge issues with Logan and finally I lost it when he put a fork deeply into his arm. We ended up in the ER with me crying and a social worker standing in front of me. I felt like such a failure. But she talked to me and I ended up trying out the public school in our area which sucked. I made some calls and got him into a magnet school in the next city and bussing him in. It really helped. I mean deeply. He ended up going to high school an hour away but it was right for him and worth the extra commute on the bus.  

Disclaimer: I don't want you to think that I feel you are not homeschooling right. It's just some kids need something different. This is only advice. I don't know your situation and can only give ideas that might help.

Quoting 5kidsILove: I homeschool through k12

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)