Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Diets

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM
  • 10 Replies

Any moms had luck with diets changes for aspbergers??

by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this
We are hopeless here. He's so picky so its hard for to eliminate what I know isn't best. I have cut down on the sugar, though! That definitely has helped him concentrate more!
HippoCat
by Hadley on Apr. 16, 2014 at 4:16 PM

We are seeing success with a GF/CF diet. We are not as perfect with it as we should be and my son is very picky which makes it hard. He had yeast in his belly and we got rid of that which has made a huge improvement. We also give him a really strong probiotic, cod liver oil and an enzyme to help him digest food. It's specific to GF/ CF so if he gets a little bit it doesn't bother him as much. It seems as though the enzyme has helped his appetite too and he is branching out a little bit from popcorn and pretzels. 

Ive seen the biggest difference with the supplements we have started, but I know the diet is a big part of the improvent too. Do you have a good naturopath you can go to? They really help guide you.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Well, I have aspergers, and I found out that I'm allergic to wheat so I had to cut it from my diet. I'm mostly gluten free now but I don't go out of my way to avoid glutens that are not wheat. The only changes I've noticed are that my nasal allergies and digestive issues have improved a bit. I'm still congested, but that's likely because I'm also allergic to a bunch of environmental allergens which I cannot completely eliminate. I haven't noticed any behavioral changes though. 

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:00 PM

My daughter has become a lot more outgoing and more tolerable of stressful environments since I started giving her omega 3 supplements.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 17, 2014 at 5:30 AM

Never tried one but good luck!

noel311
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I just wanted to post on here to follow this thread/post. I am considering going GF/CF too for my child. Was wondering how you handle bread? Peanut Butter and Jelly is his favorite sandwich. Thanks

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this
They have gluten free bread, and it's actually pretty good, but the slices are tiny and it's expensive. I'm going to try baking my own soon, I have a feeling it will be worth it.

Quoting noel311:

I just wanted to post on here to follow this thread/post. I am considering going GF/CF too for my child. Was wondering how you handle bread? Peanut Butter and Jelly is his favorite sandwich. Thanks

noel311
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

please share a recipe you find that works, if you wouldn't mind? thanks in advanced

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I went and had Sam tested for celiac which was just part of a normal blood work up to see if he had allergies before I made the time/money/fight investment. LOL.. and he has no allergies.. so I kind of figured trying it would be pointless.
I have 3 friends whos HFA, ASD kids are cf/gf and they all said they have seen a difference in anxiety levels in their aspies, that was the only change they saw in behavior. They all thought I should try it for Sam (very anxious) but I cant see fighting that with him.. especially if there is no allergy.

JennaPBug
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Oh how I wished I had tested for Celiac BEFORE I started the diet! I was thinking the same thing, that I didn't want the extra cost of this diet if he didnt have allergies. But I was desperate to relieve his GI issues and couldnt wait for his appt ( 3 month waiting list), so I took out the gluten anyway. He responded so well after removing it that now I can't bear to put him back on it to be able to run the Celiac test.

Quoting SamMom912:

I went and had Sam tested for celiac which was just part of a normal blood work up to see if he had allergies before I made the time/money/fight investment. LOL.. and he has no allergies.. so I kind of figured trying it would be pointless. I have 3 friends whos HFA, ASD kids are cf/gf and they all said they have seen a difference in anxiety levels in their aspies, that was the only change they saw in behavior. They all thought I should try it for Sam (very anxious) but I cant see fighting that with him.. especially if there is no allergy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN