Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Gillian is going to the State Special Olympics!

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 5:00 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Gillian joined a Special Olympics swim team back in February. She loves it- she has always been a fish, and taught herself how to swim in the deep end by the time she was 5. She has no water fears, which is the complete opposite of her father, who can't even float OR swim. 

They have their area meet next week, and the state compitition is at the end of May. The coaches have been watching and timing the kids, and announced the team going to state at today's practice. 

I think (I was not paying super close attention) there were 8 kids selected (4 girls, 4 boys) from her team of 26, as well as 4 alternates. 

I knew Gillian would be invited already, though- her coach emailed me on Sunday to ask if I was available to accompany the team to the state summer games as a chaperone, and that they were inviting Gillian to join (though, I was not 100% that it meant to compete). 

I think this will be a wonderful experience for Gillian and myself as well. She has loved being on the team and loves the laid back atmosphere- the coaches work on teaching the kids, but don't push them too hard, or stress them out.

i a, so proud of Gillian, and so thankful I found this team. I had considered letting her join the local team for 5-8th graders, but was not sure if the atmosphere would work for her, or if she would even like the more competitive nature. When I was looking it up is when I found this team. It's perfect for her. 

If you have not looked into Special Olympics in your area, you may want to. They are great with the kids (our area is ages 10-18, not sure if different teams are different ages, or if that is the national requirements), and work with how comfortable the kiss are. Gillian LOVES being with other kids who don't judge her for her quirkiness or issue spots. 

by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 5:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 17, 2014 at 5:13 AM

Yay!  This is great news mama...congrats!

jowen905
by Jan on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:16 PM

How awesome!  It's so nice when we can find something that our kids love to do.  Best of luck to Gillian!

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:21 PM

That's so awesome! Hope she enjoys state and they do great!! So happy she found something she loves. :)

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:41 PM

That's awesome! 

Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Yay!
I may look into special Olympics in about 4-5 years. Ds is only 5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Congratulations Gillian! I know she will have a fantastic time! There is so much more than just competing at the state competition. There is a lot of fun and games involved, too.

dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 17, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Jenn, your son is not too young. Special Olympics has a young athletes program. They work on a lot of sports skills and motor coordination stuff. I recommend checking out: www.specialolympics.org.

Quoting Jenn8604: Yay! I may look into special Olympics in about 4-5 years. Ds is only 5.

MamaLauri
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Absolutely wonderful. shouting

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 18, 2014 at 7:17 AM

That's AWESOME!!!!

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Congratulations, and how exciting for the both of you! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)