Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Its not fair!

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Jen
  • 7 Replies

I hate the feeling that my child has been treated unfairly. It makes my heart pound. I get aggitated. I get mad and angry and I want to yell at someone!

This is how I feel right now. Mad. 

I was sitting in my living room this evening, feeling bored. So I looked up some old blogs I sometimes read. I came across one I found of a sweet family that has the most beautiful little girls ever. I love following their fun adventures. Well, one blog post was about how her four year old was getting evaluated for speech delay. Mom wasn't really concerned and didn't really even want her daughter in preschool. But according to the evaluation, her daughters speech was delayed and she qualified. 

Mom listed her scores and I realzied that my son was MORE delayed than her daughter in speech. My son also had social conerns. And language concerns. The only "issue" her child has was speech. 

And her school district gave her an IEP with preschool that included speech services. 

What did my son get? A one hour phonology class that meets ONCE a week! No more.

No preschool, no nothing. Just a stupid group that only meets for an hour a week. And if that day happens to fall on a school holiday or inservice day, too bad. No make ups. 

It just makes me SOOO MAD!!!  Why is it that one district can offer more services than another??

banging head into wall

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 22, 2014 at 5:11 AM

Good question.  

I will say that where I live different districts have different rules.  For example where I live, if the child has a 25% or more delay in at least 1 developmental area, they qualify for special education preschool in the public school system.  The next town over has a different rule...the child has to have a 30% or more delay in MORE than 1 area to qualify for special ed.  

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 5:35 AM

I am sorry.  That does stink.  Liam should have an IEPER and perk I would think.  Here if you have any speech or therapy goal regardless of academic goals you have an IEPER.  But we are also ancient on everything else, so in general I have the same frustrations as you about my kids.  Right now my big thing is ABA and district refusing to bring it in.  Doc says it is the only way to break thru to my daughter, and the school won't do it.  We do not have private available within an hour either.

johnns
by Johnna on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:51 AM
You probably need a dx from doc? Then the school will address it.
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:15 AM

Doesnt it all come down to money? The more money the district has the more they can see fit to give services.. If there are 25 kids in that district that need help, and there is money for 50, then they can help others who dont need as much easily. If your district has 55 kids that need help, well then 5 of them arent getting help.. OR the district needs to take money away from something else to find money to help those 5. 

Im guessing girls are supposed to have more advanced speech/social skills by an age, where boys skills are not as developed and its ok they look worse, since they are not as advanced as girls typically. (Does that make sence?) Im thinking its a different scale? So she looks worse even if they are similar? 

It ISNT fair, and it SUCKS. I really really am starting to sound like a broken record. LOL... But Im really tired of some people getting TONS of help and some people getting NO help... And dont get me wrong, I realize that some KIDS need a TON of help and I am thankful they get it... But then there are fine lines where someone JUST like your kid seems to be getting more supports,. And it isnt fair. 

I hat that sam gets like nothing,, I hate it! It kills us financially (ok, kill is a strong word) and it really rubs me the wrong way when I hear all the help some get... Everyone should be able to get the help they need for their child. Plain and simple... 

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:31 AM
That does stink. I can remember when Nicolas just turned 3, he had a major speech issue and we were concerned about his socialization. We tried to get him into the special Ed preschool, and they told us no. That he only needed it for feeding and speech. And told me that this isn't for him!

Fast forward a year and he was diagnosed really fast and by surprise to almost everyone. (I knew something was going on but didn't think autism) His diagnosis listed almost every service available. He gets feeding in school, fine motor, special Ed program, and a lot more speech than he ever got with infants and toddlers. With my district, it all has to do with the educational aspect. Is it interfering with him learning?

I hate how they don't want to give our boys the services needed when you can see a definable need!
wildchild.com
by Janine on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:47 AM
So sorry hugs mama!
Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:06 AM

That's very frustrating! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN