Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

ahhh!

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:26 AM
  • 10 Replies
Has anyone else had issues with their child who continues to take your money?? Mine is 7 and he knows it is wrong. He also is an aspie so when it is brought up or he is punished it turns into a fighting battle by him....
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:40 AM

It could be a fixation of his at the moment. If it is, it is a tough situation to break him of it which can take a year or more. Does he want to buy things with it or just keep it? Have you thought of giving him an allowance to earn his own money? There are some good books at his age on money, and I bet you could find them in the library. I bet those books could make him very happy!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
So sorry momma. My son is 4 and hasn't shown any interest in money. I know I was told that our kids will pick up habits and then lose them and pick up new ones. I hope this is what your son is going to do
mommato2boys151
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Quoting dawncs:

It could be a fixation of his at the moment. If it is, it is a tough situation to break him of it which can take a year or more. Does he want to buy things with it or just keep it? Have you thought of giving him an allowance to earn his own money? There are some good books at his age on money, and I bet you could find them in the library. I bet those books could make him very happy!

O yeah!!! He likes to spend it, hold on to it, and say that he has it. We have given him money for doing chore like things ( dollars or .50 here or there).... He is EXTREMELY spoiled by grandma, and literally gets ANYTHING he wants from her so I am not sure why he feels he needs to steal the money?

wildchild.com
by Janine on Apr. 22, 2014 at 5:19 PM
So sorry my son doesn't have a clue about money.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Well, I just had installed a double bolt lock on my door.

I guess i would figure out a way to keep it "locked". No cash in the house unless its his?

Anytime he steals, maybe take the amount he stole back and then some?

And really praise for "not stealing"? Or for earning it? Not sure, but some kind of reward system.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:26 AM

Nope.  My son doesn't understand what money is.  Good luck though!

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Id wonder if this was more of a hoarding issue (how some kids hoard food) and more related to an OCD behavior then a maladaptive "stealing". Does he see a psychologist? Im thinking this is something that needs professional intervention. I dont think this comes from an evil place, but something that comes from a feeling out of control place...Im sure you have taught him that it is wrong. Im sure he knows. You mention he gets things from. Grandma.. So techincally, he could simplay ask her for whatever he desires and then has the ADDED benefit to not get into trouble... 

So it seems to me that this behavior needs more help then any time out or discussion. Im thinking professional which may even be pharmacceutical. :) HUGS.. Hard line... 

mommato2boys151
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:45 AM
Hmmmm! Thank you I will mention this to his psychologist!

Quoting SamMom912:

Id wonder if this was more of a hoarding issue (how some kids hoard food) and more related to an OCD behavior then a maladaptive "stealing". Does he see a psychologist? Im thinking this is something that needs professional intervention. I dont think this comes from an evil place, but something that comes from a feeling out of control place...Im sure you have taught him that it is wrong. Im sure he knows. You mention he gets things from. Grandma.. So techincally, he could simplay ask her for whatever he desires and then has the ADDED benefit to not get into trouble... 

So it seems to me that this behavior needs more help then any time out or discussion. Im thinking professional which may even be pharmacceutical. :) HUGS.. Hard line... 

lucasmadre
by Kari on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Ah yes...the aspergers ability to justify anything...I know it well :) I wish I had some answers for you. My son is 10 and I will say after lots if work he is starting to develop a ethical conscious...FINALLY! 

dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

You have to realize he got introduced to it in math class in school. He knows it is special and is needed to purchase things. He probably does not get the concept of how you obtain it in life. It can turn into a fun research project for the two of you on the web and the local library.

Quoting mommato2boys151:

Quoting dawncs:

O yeah!!! He likes to spend it, hold on to it, and say that he has it. We have given him money for doing chore like things ( dollars or .50 here or there).... He is EXTREMELY spoiled by grandma, and literally gets ANYTHING he wants from her so I am not sure why he feels he needs to steal the money?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)