Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I don't know what to expect..

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM
  • 16 Replies
My son has been in early intervention and is starting school at the schools board's special programs center this fall. All I've been hearing is... He's definitely on the spectrum and we're waiting on the referral from the doc so he can officially be evaluated.
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:17 AM

My daughter will be starting preschool in the fall as well. She ages out of early intervention in May. So I don't know what exactly to expect with school either, but we have been through the formal evaluations for school. We went to the school and they had a team of evaluators (a diagnostician, a psychologist and psychologist's aid, a speech therapist and an occupational therapist). They all interacted with my daughter and showed her a series of toys and objects and saw how she reacted to those and to them. They asked her to do things, like pretend play and draw and try to use scissors.

They also had me fill out a bunch of developmental and behavioral questionnaires before the testing day. And testing lasted a little over an hour. Hope that's helpful ...... like I said, can't say anything about school because I don't know either yet.

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:29 AM

HUGS. 

Are you more worried about the school? Or the evaluation? 

Reese2010727
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM
I'm sorry for not being clear.I'm talking about the evaluation because I know everything about the school now.

Quoting mypbandj:

HUGS. 

Reese2010727
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Thank you. That did help me. The evaluation for school was just as you described. The evaluation we're waiting on now is through the children hospital.

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

My daughter will be starting preschool in the fall as well. She ages out of early intervention in May. So I don't know what exactly to expect with school either, but we have been through the formal evaluations for school. We went to the school and they had a team of evaluators (a diagnostician, a psychologist and psychologist's aid, a speech therapist and an occupational therapist). They all interacted with my daughter and showed her a series of toys and objects and saw how she reacted to those and to them. They asked her to do things, like pretend play and draw and try to use scissors.

They also had me fill out a bunch of developmental and behavioral questionnaires before the testing day. And testing lasted a little over an hour. Hope that's helpful ...... like I said, can't say anything about school because I don't know either yet.

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Actually, the eval at the hospital will probably be similar to what they did at the school. I'd expect them to give you lots of papers to fill out and they will ask you a lot of questions. They'll probably have lots of different people there all doing their assessments together. After they finish, they will probalby all meet together for awhile and then bring you back to let you know what they decided. 

Quoting Reese2010727: I'm sorry for not being clear.I'm talking about the evaluation because I know everything about the school now.
Quoting mypbandj:

HUGS. 

Reese2010727
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:11 PM
OK,thanks!

Quoting mypbandj:

Actually, the eval at the hospital will probably be similar to what they did at the school. I'd expect them to give you lots of papers to fill out and they will ask you a lot of questions. They'll probably have lots of different people there all doing their assessments together. After they finish, they will probalby all meet together for awhile and then bring you back to let you know what they decided. 

Quoting Reese2010727: I'm sorry for not being clear.I'm talking about the evaluation because I know everything about the school now.

Quoting mypbandj:

HUGS. 

tictacmama
by Arlea on Apr. 24, 2014 at 1:13 PM

I only had one through the school district though it was longer (about 3-4 hours ) but the people who were there sound about the same. It was pretty painless for Xavier. It was harder on me because it was the first time it really hit me that he was autistic.

Reese2010727
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

It was the same for us.

Quoting tictacmama:

I only had one through the school district though it was longer (about 3-4 hours ) but the people who were there sound about the same. It was pretty painless for Xavier. It was harder on me because it was the first time it really hit me that he was autistic.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 25, 2014 at 6:06 AM
1 mom liked this

At least he has already started receiving services...that's good!

The official evaluation will help him still get the academic help along with therapy. It'll be a good thing!

Reese2010727
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:10 AM
Thank you... I feel a little better about it now :)

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

At least he has already started receiving services...that's good!

The official evaluation will help him still get the academic help along with therapy. It'll be a good thing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN