Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

As the parent of a child on the spectrum, what have you learned about life?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Amy
  • 11 Replies

I've learned not to take things for granted, but also not to look at everything so seriously.  My kiddo is HFA and has such a great sense of humor.  It's hard not to look at things in a more humorous way after he's around.

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NatashaEvesmom
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I like this question.  I've learned to celebrate the small things and to take things one day at a time.  Wheather it is going to the restaurant and having a meal without a breakdown or asking a kid at the play ground to play with her, even if it's just for a few minutes.  You have to take the good progress b/c the negative stuff can really get you down.  

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Apr. 25, 2014 at 3:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I've learned I have to change myself more than change my child. It's hard sometimes when my daughter resists me and I have to look back and figure out ..... am I trying to make her do something I just want her to do, or is it something that will actually help her. I've had to change the way I do things, the way I even think about things, so that my daughter can better understand and be a meaningful member of the family.

Like .... Easter my daughter was hiding in her room because the people overwhelmed her. So my husband and I went into her room and we just spent some time playing with her. The others took care of themselves in the other rooms, and we wanted her to know that we still loved her and wanted her with us even if she couldn't handle being in the other room. So we spent time with her in a way that was comfortable for her. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I learned that just because something worked once it may not work again or just because we one good experience eating (or whatever) at a place the next time may be a disaster (although this has gone both ways).  I learned to be careful what we say out loud...he has super powers hearing and also if we say it it's gonna be hard to change (sorry kid no tacos for dinner could end in a meltdown if tacos is what we told him we were having).  I learned how to love in a different yet amazing way.. I learned that no 2 kids with autism are the same and stop comparing!  I learned to appreciate the little things.. :)

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Apr. 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

YES .... I so agree you can't expect something to go the same way twice. I often think the only consistent thing about my daughter is her inconsistencies, lol. She's really really good at proving me wrong .... in both bad and good ways!

Quoting Charizma77:

I learned that just because something worked once it may not work again or just because we one good experience eating (or whatever) at a place the next time may be a disaster (although this has gone both ways).  I learned to be careful what we say out loud...he has super powers hearing and also if we say it it's gonna be hard to change (sorry kid no tacos for dinner could end in a meltdown if tacos is what we told him we were having).  I learned how to love in a different yet amazing way.. I learned that no 2 kids with autism are the same and stop comparing!  I learned to appreciate the little things.. :)

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Apr. 25, 2014 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I have learned how to appreciate the small things. Some things that wouldn't mean much to NT parents mean the world to us! I'm still new to all this, so I'm still learning a lot. But I have also learned to appreciate his obsessions and help him to learn more about them. It brings us closer and helps him to realize that I do care.
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

To be patient, positive, flexible, resilient. Have a lot of faith and hold on!

mabeetle
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM
I'm learning to enjoy the good stretches and be in the moment. There will be downs and struggles but I can't worry about it. It will happen and we will survive.
I've learned that I can meltdown too and it's ok.
I've learned that my true friends will always be there even if I can't talk for months at a time
Simran81
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:39 PM

You need to be patient, work hard and never give up. Also learnt that u need to be self sufficient and strong.

Jaimielorai
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 7:00 AM

I have learned to see things from the eyes of one who see's everything, who feels everything!  I have learned how closed minded I am in not being about to be see what my child sees, I have learned that love and intelligence is in the eyes of the beholder.  I a have learned to love someone more than myself, and with thiat I have learned that THERE IS NO PERFECT CHILD!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2014 at 7:04 AM

One day at a time:)  Don't take anything for granted!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)