Any advice for a young, single mom with a newly diagnosed child?
My son is 8 years old, newly diagnosed, and here are our main issues:
- Persistent nightmares; insomnia: He doesn't sleep well, and he has nightmares almost every night. This has been ongoing since about 2-3 years old. He has trouble falling and staying asleep, even on nights without nightmares.
- Excitable; hyperactive: Any high-energy environments (like school buses) overstimulate him, and he "acts out."
- Chronic lying: He lies constantly.
- Discipline doesn't work: No form of discipline has been successful, and I'm feeling frustrated and overwhelmed.
- Poor social skills (with children): Incessant talking; doesn't know when to stop; dominates conversations; little understanding of personal boundaries and social cues; has difficulty making and keeping friends.
- Severe attachment issues: He still wants to sleep in my bed, and if he had it his way he would never leave my side.
- Extremely picky eater. He takes Vyvanse for ADHD, and that has further increased his pickiness. I manage to keep him from being underweight, but I struggle so much.
- Won't obey anyone but me (and even I have a lot of trouble). He doesn't seem to understand. He thinks discipline and being mean are the same thing.
I am just feeling very overwhelmed and frustrated lately. I have no rest, no breaks, and I am so tired... I'm unsure of what to do when I feel frustrated and overwhelmed. I just want to help my son anyway that I can, but no one seems to have any answers or help for me.