Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I think you'll appreciate why I'm so happy

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 6:48 PM
Jan
  • 10 Replies
6 moms liked this

OK, this is really no big deal, not for an NT almost-13 year old boy, but it is for my ds, Billy.  He has HFAD, along with other diagnoses, and poor social skills.  Though he really likes to be around people, he has difficulty carrying on a conversation, processing what the next step is, the give and take, etc.

Anyway, we were at a soccer game today watching his friend (a girl, but she's NOT my girlfriend, mom!) play.  Billy was sitting on the bleachers, My ex-brother-in-law's brother (long story) Ron was in front of Billy and Dustin (his friend's brother) was behind him.  I heard Dustin say "Uncle Ron, .....", but Ron didn't hear him.  So Billy taps Ron on the shoulder and tells him that Dustin wants to talk to him.

No big deal, right?  But it is.  Because Billy understood the mechanics of what happened (Dustin wanted to talk to Ron, but Ron didn't hear him) and then he took it upon himself to take the initiative to get involved and "solve the problem".  A year ago, no, he would have observed the situation and not had a clue or an inclination that he could interject himself into someone else's interaction and solve a problem.

I'm just so frickin' happy.  Our kids are capable of more than we could ever imagine.  Does Billy still have poor social skills?  Yes!  But he did something today I never would have expected a year ago!

Jan

by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

That is Awesome!!!   

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

That is pretty dang awesome. It took alot of processing and connecting the dots to do that! And yeah ..... NT people can just do that and not even have to think twice about it ..... they don't even realize all the work their brains did to make something like that happen, they just make the connections subconsciously ...... but our kids, they have to build those connections and you get to see first hand just how amazing it is to follow through a sequence to help. So cool!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

That's so awesome! I know what a big deal that is!

They really ARE capable of so much...and it seems like they end up doing and figuring out these things for themselves.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a really big deal. I can't wait until Ashton gets to that point. How cool! 

jowen905
by Jan on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

And Ashton will!! Thanks.

Quoting Charizma77:

That is a really big deal. I can't wait until Ashton gets to that point. How cool! 

Jan

Senile-felines
by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Whoohoo, I know what this is like!!

terri-553
by Terri on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

woohoo

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
WOOHOO!!!!!! Way to go.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Def awesome news
Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Right you are! That is great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN