Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Thank you GOD for understanding people!

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:18 PM
  • 5 Replies
I have been debating if I should post this, but then decided that most things that I've been doing lately have been negative. Plus I'm getting nervous.

I had a conversation with my mom about a week before Easter. (My small family usually comes over) I told her that I'm at the point that anyone that doesn't want to accept my life or my son can stay away. She told me that everyone accepts Nicolas and his autism. (I even found out that my uncle that has Tourette also has aspergers) That was weird for me. We had Easter and my cousin asked about Nick and said how it looks like he is doing good and really wanted to know about his autism with concern. I was very surprised!

Tomorrow we go to the other side of the family. My DH family. It is a baby shower. I am dealing with the stress from my 14 yr old niece. She hates the family and doesn't want to go. Her words to me is that family acts like family and they aren't her family. I'm making her go. She isn't happy. I don't think they believe that Nicolas is autistic. So wish me good luck tomorrow. But I still believe the same. That if they don't want to be civil and appreciate what he needs then they can stay away. I told DH that we are only staying an hour. For everyone's sanity.
by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Don;t you hate those sort of things? I think we worry and stress so much before the actual event, that we automatically feel like it'll be doomsday. I don;t know if it's the situation or the people that make it worse? I still avoid going many places because I know D will hate it...but then sometimes he surprises me!

And girls can be so dramatic. I'm hoping she goes and has a really good time!

Wishing you lots of luck tomorrow and hoping it goes well. Fingers crossed!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I know what you mean. I had to phase people out of my life, not family..we don't have much family but people who just don't get it, we need positive people in our life who understand and accept what we are going through.. Good luck tomorrow! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I know just what you mean mama...hugs!

lucasmadre
by Kari on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Well, if you can get one side of the family on board that is sure better than nothing :) Maybe your husband's family will surprise you. Sometimes people come around over time...good luck and try and keep an open mind, if you lead the way they may follow.  xo

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:19 PM
Thx. My side is good. DH family just ignores the subject. That is fine and we aren't around them enough for it to matter too much. Even Brian's brither that has a grandchild with severe autism just looked at me like I was crazy when we talked about it. I guess because Nicolas isn't severe, it's hard for them to realize. I love their grandson. He is a cool kid.

Quoting lucasmadre:

Well, if you can get one side of the family on board that is sure better than nothing :) Maybe your husband's family will surprise you. Sometimes people come around over time...good luck and try and keep an open mind, if you lead the way they may follow.  xo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)