Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Thinking about seeing a therapist. For myself.

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:49 PM
  • 21 Replies
A little background; I have struggled with anxiety for years. I was always a real shit as a teenager. Always depressed about something stupid and a bit unmotivated. I'm not sure I would classify that as anxiety, but I do struggle with it nowadays. For the most part I get my panic attacks when I have to go to social functions. Weddings, holidays, play dates depending on my comfort level with the person..I usually have a hard time swallowing and have to try my hardest to take deep breaths and my stomach gets all funny. With Max's program starting and his birthday party today I actually broke down in tears and told DH today that I can't handle the struggle anymore and that I want to see a therapist. I do not think anxiety meds are an option for me because I BF, but what else can I do? I don't want to have to try so hard all the time to catch my breath and its getting in the way of things that should be enjoyable.
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe it is a great idea! Having a trained listener can help you work out your daily problems and cope with any possible situations that arise at times. It may take trying out a few counselors to find one who you like the most and will work with you.

Linda733
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:21 AM

I did it a week after my sons diagnosis. I felt like my life just spun out of control and I was beyond emotional and it interfered with everything. What do you mean by you dont think anti anxiety meds are an option because I BF? I'm sorry but I didn't understand that part.

HippoCat
by Hadley on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:40 AM

Do it!! I have been seeing one for 2 years and I can't imagine going through any of this without her. I am a much healthier person and so are my relationships. It has helped me focus on what is really going on inside my brain. It is really hard work, but really worth it. I consider her a part of "the team". My son goes to so much therapy and I need it too. I highly recommend it.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 28, 2014 at 5:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Do it! You need to take care of you, to be able to take care of everything else! There is nothing wrong with talking to someone about your feelings, anxiety, etc...or needing to take medicine to help it. It can't be fun living that way and with ways to take care of it, why should you?

I have a lot of anxiety too and am always told I need to stop stressing. Ummm ok? As if I can just switch it off!LOL! So I applaud you for knowing you've had enough of it and wanting to finally squash it!

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Absolutely, taking care of yourself is just as important, if not more so, than taking care of your family.  You can learn new coping skills and get tools to make your life easier and hopefully in the long run more enjoyable.  Knowing you need help and then getting it is a very good thing, indeed.  Good luck! :)

lady_katie
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
You could try cognitive behavioral therapy. They teach you how to change your thinking, which in turn changes your behavior. I had luck with CBT and anxiety. They taught me how to not see situations as so anxiety provoking in the first place, and techniques to manage it once I was already in them. It's very logical and you see pretty immediate results.
jowen905
by Jan on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I have anxiety disorder and panic disorder - I know exactly how you feel when that panic overtakes you.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with seeing a therapist to help you.  I'm sorry, I don't understand the I BF and medications - what does that mean?  I believe each person has to do what's right for themselves - I take meds which has helped me tremendously, but each person makes that decision, so I'm not trying to push you in that direction.  I just hope you can find the relief and help that you need.  Panic attacks are awful.  Hugs.

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:09 AM
I'm sorry BF means breastfeeding. I don't think they are nursing safe. If they were I think I would have made this call a year ago. Maybe it's a sign though that I ultimately need to learn how to cope from within and if that doesn't work I may need to tough it out until Max gives up the boob. :(

Quoting jowen905:

I have anxiety disorder and panic disorder - I know exactly how you feel when that panic overtakes you.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with seeing a therapist to help you.  I'm sorry, I don't understand the I BF and medications - what does that mean?  I believe each person has to do what's right for themselves - I take meds which has helped me tremendously, but each person makes that decision, so I'm not trying to push you in that direction.  I just hope you can find the relief and help that you need.  Panic attacks are awful.  Hugs.

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:10 AM
That sounds AWESOME!!!!!! Do most therapists know that or do I need to look for someone specific??

Quoting lady_katie: You could try cognitive behavioral therapy. They teach you how to change your thinking, which in turn changes your behavior. I had luck with CBT and anxiety. They taught me how to not see situations as so anxiety provoking in the first place, and techniques to manage it once I was already in them. It's very logical and you see pretty immediate results.
Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Hey Linda, BF means breastfeeding. I never planned to continue this long but I also didn't know my kid would live off beige crunchy foods. Lol. So that's the pickle I am in.

Quoting Linda733:

I did it a week after my sons diagnosis. I felt like my life just spun out of control and I was beyond emotional and it interfered with everything. What do you mean by you dont think anti anxiety meds are an option because I BF? I'm sorry but I didn't understand that part.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN