Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

She got schooled! Has your child ever told someone off about autism?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 2:02 PM
Amy
  • 9 Replies
3 moms liked this

A friend of mine was telling me about something that happened recently to her and her daughter.

Her daughter was helping her at the grocery store by putting things in the cart for her and helping with check out etc.  Because of this, their grocery trip was holding things up a bit and other people were getting frustrated with them.  Finally another customer made a comment about how her daughter was acting like a brat and others just don't have time for that.

My friend's daughter looked at the lady and just said "I have autism, and this makes me feel better!"

Have your kids ever "schooled" someone about autism before? 

by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Apr. 28, 2014 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Uhhhhh ..... someone called her a brat for wanting to help? Autism or not, you teach your children how to do things by them helping you, and that includes grocery shopping. I would have told that person I hope they didn't have children because they won't know how to function in society because their parent thought they just needed to stay home all the time and never learn how to do things for themselves because they'll inconvience other people. 

I'm glad the girl stood up for herself but good grief, I would have wanted to hurt that person. That's absurd to say a child being helpful is being a brat.

KristleKlear
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I'm tired of other people making assumptions about kids and their behavior in general.  As outsiders, they can't know all the circumstances of any one child's behavior.   We have had a pretty hectic, away-from-the-norm schedule lately, so my son has really been struggling the last few weeks. Among other things, he's been doing a lot of taking without asking.  

His main victim has been his younger sister.  She has been very patient with him for the most part (for a two-year-old), telling me what happened so I can talk to Chrystian, but the last few days she has seemed to reach the end of her rope.  

Without waiting for me to intervene and talk to her brother when he took her tablet, she threw herself down on the floor and started wailing in frustration in the eye doctor's waiting room. I get it. I completely understand why she's frustrated after weeks of relentlessly having to deal with this.

An elderly lady in the waiting room sitting near me looked at me and said, "THAT little girl is in need of a spanking."  I didn't say anything to her (not that I didn't want to), but it just frustrates me when people are presumptuous like that. My kids are well-behaved most of the time, but they're still KIDS....like every kid, they have their moments.  What I heard in that unenlightened comment was that my kids are brats and I'm a terrible mother who has no idea how to discipline her children.

Was Gracey behaving the way she should have? no...but I am taking into account that she has been dealing with this pretty well the last two weeks, and has been tolerant in dealing with it without screaming and yelling.  I'm not going to spank my daughter for having one frustrated meltdown that just happened to be in public.   Instead, I want to acknowledge and validate her frustration and then talk to her about different ways to manage her reaction to that frustration. 

KristleKlear
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for your friend's daughter, though.  It sounds like she did not let what was said about her (rudely, might I add) get her down. She just moved on, and let him know why she needed to do that and why her mom was allowing her to.  

Why would anyone in their right mind discourage a child who wants to be helpful?  What a kind, thoughful and helpful little girl.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 28, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I'm glad your friend's daughter said that....how rude of that lady!   

buckeyefever
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 6:17 PM

no mine is three and can't talk well but he has been doing better since being in speech. I usually am the one that has to step up and say something. I have snapped at quite a few people. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 28, 2014 at 6:19 PM
Good for her for speaking up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Smart girl! Good for her.

tridlet2
by New Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Good for her! I would be so proud of her if I was mom. My DD (15, hf) spoke up at her IEP last week and schooled the entire district sped dept, including a rep from the Superintendent's office. The 7 of us who were actually there for DD's best interests cheered when she was done telling them what she needs, why she needs it, and how messed up it is that they only see her as a dollar sign instead of a PERSON who needs supports in order to succeed (her own words). This is the first self-advocacy that we have seen, and I am still bursting at the seams proud.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 5, 2014 at 5:43 AM

That's cute!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)