Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

help!

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM
  • 8 Replies

hey ladies im new to this and wanted to branch out and get support in my way i know it will help me be a better mother to my son....im 23 years old i was first pregant at 20 had my son at 21 years old. so i guess you can say im a young mother. Never really know what to expect going into this thing called being a mother but i take everything that cames to me head on. my son will be two july 24th so hes 21 months now and i had notice he seem a little behind then every child his age so i had talk to his doc and we had do early intervestion meeting and they had tested him and he is vary behind hes at a 15 month od develpoment stage and are worried hes autistic....as a mom the hurt my heart please any other moms who can help me be a bEtter mother for my child  I WOULD LOVE TO DO THE BEST I CAN FOR HIM thank you <3

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  Developmental milestones alone being behind does not mean your child has ASD.  I recommend checking out autismspeaks.org for a list of ASD characteristics.  You can also take the MCHAT on that site that will evaluate red flags that you can then discuss with your child's doctor.  If you feel this may be something your son has after finding out a bit more, I would ask for a referral to a developmental pediatrician for testing.  If he has autism, there are plenty of therapies and interventions out there to assist, and the younger you start the better.  So you're at the perfect time.  Best of luck, and welcome to the group!

theresa26
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:22 PM

hi my name is theresa and i have a autisic son he is three he also started out slow and behind most three yr olds and the people that was working with him said that he just had a developmental delay but then he staerted to make weriod movements with his arms went and got him tasted and turned out he has autism so the advice i can telll u is that if u think your son has it plz go have him tested in your area so he can get his help he needs so he can catch by having therapy on what he is slow in

brayansmama24
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM

he has been diganosed with ASD

dawncs
by Dawn on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Welcome to the group! You made a smart move to sign him up for early intervention services in your county. I know it hurts hearing how far delayed he is at the time. However, you have to realize they have to evaluate him to justify him receiving these services for free. With theraputic services and an education, he can reach his full potential in life. I recommend reading http://www.autismspeaks.org/, http://www.wrightslaw.com/, http://www.thearc.org/, and http://www.easterseals.com/.

brayansmama24
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Theresa thank you for everything. can you help me and tell me what you do for routine for your son idk how to make  it more conferable for both of us 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Welcome to the group mama!

I agree w/ Dawn! It was very smart to get early intervention!

Its not an easy journey, to be sure, but when you start to see how much he will progress, you'll learn how to enjoy every new milestone that comes.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:18 AM

Welcome, mama!

I was in your place years ago and know the feelings in your heart and mind. What a hard job a mama had when she loves he child so fiercely, and yet is helpless to make them better. There is no way to be a better mother...you already are!

And I promise you that this group will be so helpful to you. You will get such support in so many ways. So glad you found us.

Big hugs!

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Just remember that he is the same little boy that you knew and loved before the diagnosis. My son was dx at 15 months old. We started speech, OT and PT right away. I agree with previous posts that early intervention is the key. The therapists will work with your son and also give you tips and strategies on how best to work with him at home. {{{HUGS}}}

~Kristina
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN