Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Gluten Free Cake!!

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Jen
  • 7 Replies
2 moms liked this

I'm making some gluten free cupcakes for Liam's preschool class tomorrow. Liam isn't gluten free but a child in his class is and I don't want him to be excluded - so gluten free for them all!!! LOL

Anyway, I bought this product to make the cupcakes and since I've never made them before, I was really worried it would be a flop. But I have to say, this mix tastes JUST like regular cake. The texture and everything seems to be the same. It's amazing! Even my very picky teenaged boy liked them. 

So, I thought I'd pass it on and maybe this could be helpful to someone else. We made the vanilla and the chocolate btw. I just bought both in case one was awful but they both turned out fantstic! 

I'll post pics of the decorated cupcakes tomorrow. 

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:15 AM

Ohhhhh! where did you get this from? Was it expensive?

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Yes it was expensive!! Like $6.99 I think. That's a lot for a cupcake mix. I saw a box of six mixes on amazon (while l was looking for the picture) for $30 so that's a little better but only if shipping is free.

I found the one I bought at the grocery store (dillons) in the health food section.

For what it's worth, I also noticed that Betty Crocker now makes a gluten free cake mix. It was also $6 and made less. And I can't vouch for how it tastes.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:19 AM
That's great! My sister has Celiac Disease, so she can't have gluten. I'll pass this on to her. Thanks!
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM

That's the only problem I have with GF...but it's a big problem! Completely unaffordable for a family of 5.

We had a GFCF bakery about 5 years ago. Her desserts were better than anything I'd ever had, but you couldn't afford a cupcake, seriously. She closed in two years...but I can only imagive what her supplies cost her!

Quoting mypbandj: Yes it was expensive!! Like $6.99 I think. That's a lot for a cupcake mix. I saw a box of six mixes on amazon (while l was looking for the picture) for $30 so that's a little better but only if shipping is free. I found the one I bought at the grocery store (dillons) in the health food section. For what it's worth, I also noticed that Betty Crocker now makes a gluten free cake mix. It was also $6 and made less. And I can't vouch for how it tastes.
Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

mypbandj
by Jen on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I have a friend who ties to go gluten free and she made up her own gluten free flour and keeps it in the freezer. I asked her what she puts in it and she told me. Basically it's a mixture of potato, tapioca, and rice flour. And xanthun gum.  I listened to a podcast a few weeks ago where the bakers at America's Test Kitchen set out to make the best gluten free foods. Here is the link if you want to listen - it's VERY interesting!! 

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

That's the only problem I have with GF...but it's a big problem! Completely unaffordable for a family of 5.

We had a GFCF bakery about 5 years ago. Her desserts were better than anything I'd ever had, but you couldn't afford a cupcake, seriously. She closed in two years...but I can only imagive what her supplies cost her!

Quoting mypbandj: Yes it was expensive!! Like $6.99 I think. That's a lot for a cupcake mix. I saw a box of six mixes on amazon (while l was looking for the picture) for $30 so that's a little better but only if shipping is free. I found the one I bought at the grocery store (dillons) in the health food section. For what it's worth, I also noticed that Betty Crocker now makes a gluten free cake mix. It was also $6 and made less. And I can't vouch for how it tastes.
Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Oooohhhh thanks! I will!

Quoting mypbandj:

I have a friend who ties to go gluten free and she made up her own gluten free flour and keeps it in the freezer. I asked her what she puts in it and she told me. Basically it's a mixture of potato, tapioca, and rice flour. And xanthun gum.  I listened to a podcast a few weeks ago where the bakers at America's Test Kitchen set out to make the best gluten free foods. Here is the link if you want to listen - it's VERY interesting!! 

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:46 PM
I'll have to see if Wegmans carries it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN