Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

UPDATE: So Close, Yet So Far!! ABA

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:43 PM
  • 16 Replies

Most of you know my ABA battle in trying to bring this therapy to my 2 kids that have autism.  The provider 1.5 hours away has agreed to an in-home 3 hours a day amazing program that the kids NEED!!!  And their current Sped teach wants to do it for them!!   But she got the financial offer today, and it is not enough for her to be able to do it and make driving here (she lives 1 hour away) profitable for her.  She is still going to try to negotiate with them, and see if their is anything else they can do.  I'd also be trained to be her back up, so I told them to put all the money into her, not pay me on her days off.  I'm frustrated because my kids need this so much, I can't get it locally any other way, and they will age out of insurance paying for it soon.  I even have stuff like respite money I do not use that I would love to figure out how to use some of that to pay for her services but can't seem to 'fit the rules of respite.'  And if I was driving to her, we could get out of county trip reimbursement through medicaid for me to take the kids to her.  But I can't use this same fund to bring her to the kids.  It's just so close, yet I don't think I'm going to win the battle, which makes me so sad to not be able to give the kids the one chance they probably have to be more functional then they otherwise will be.  I've given them every opportunity I can since day one, and it is breaking my heart to not be able to make this happen.  I just don't know how to make up the funding difference to make it affordable to the teacher on top of the therapy salary.  :(   

UPDATE***********

So, I was granted an additional 21k in Supported Community Living hours for the kids today that I may be able to use in my ABA venture for teacher to pick up overtime to make this worth her while as the therapy pay alone was short.  At the same time it may not really cause her to work a whole lot extra in hours if I do her computer entry portion.  I am given the pool of money and can set her rate per hour out of the pool to possibly meet the gap of the other pay while she teaches them basic life skills on top of the ABA.  We're going to talk in detail on Tuesday and make a date to go venture to the out of town ABA center to see if we can nail things down and maybe make this happen.  I don't have this yet, and it could fall through any second, but there's hope again!

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs... Ill brainstorm... 

jowen905
by Jan on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, wow, I hope she can negotiate something with them.  It would be awful to lose this opportunity.  I'm sending prayers and best wishes that somehow this works out for you.  You so deserve this.

Why does everything come down to money?  I hate that.

Jan

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Thanks!   

Quoting SamMom912:

Hugs... Ill brainstorm... 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Thank you for the prayers!  I think it's going to take a miracle to make this one happen!  I can't seem to find a local grant, respite money, anything I may be able to apply to help.  And it's just so close, ugh!  Just so frustrated!!  Yet of course I understand, she needs pay that will benefit her!   

Quoting jowen905:

Oh, wow, I hope she can negotiate something with them.  It would be awful to lose this opportunity.  I'm sending prayers and best wishes that somehow this works out for you.  You so deserve this.

Why does everything come down to money?  I hate that.

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 5:33 AM
2 moms liked this

First of all - Awesome job getting this far!!  Just some quick ideas - I know you want this teacher and she know your kids and wants to do it but is there anyone else who the finances would work for - like one of their aides etc. that could get trained and do it instead?  I know it's far and difficult for you to juggle but can you brig them 2 days a week and then you do the other days at home?  I'll keep thinking to see if I can come up with other ideas.  I know you are worn down but don't give up yet!!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Thanks.  I'm not giving up until teach says no.  She's going to try to negitiate first.  I'm also figuring out if there is any other funding my kids qualify for that would apply here.  Unfortunately, they won't consider someone else.  They don't normally allow teachers to do this but made the exception as she has her masters in spec ed and 16 years experience working with kids with autism.  I tried finding an actual therapist and that did not work either.

Quoting Gloria1025:

First of all - Awesome job getting this far!!  Just some quick ideas - I know you want this teacher and she know your kids and wants to do it but is there anyone else who the finances would work for - like one of their aides etc. that could get trained and do it instead?  I know it's far and difficult for you to juggle but can you brig them 2 days a week and then you do the other days at home?  I'll keep thinking to see if I can come up with other ideas.  I know you are worn down but don't give up yet!!

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I understand - have you gone back to the school district for help?   You have done all the work and shown that what they said wasn't possible actually is possible - there is a chance they could change their tune a litte (you are doing their job for them after all.....).   - what is the worst they can do - say "no" which is no worse than where you are with them now.

Does the ABA organization have any ideas on funding sources that you can look into?  I know others have gotten one time financial support for things from Autism Speaks.  I have no idea what their process is though.  This is a tough one because it is not like it is unfunded, it is that it is "underfunded".   I am sure they are paying the "standard rate" for this type of work/service and they have to be careful of raising expectations and pushing the costs beyond reach, but I understand that personally for the teacher, it may not be enough. 

Is there any way you could "barter" with the teacher?  Are there things she spends money on that you could provide to her - like some sort of service, that would decrease her monthly bills and justify her making a little less?  Just thinking of crazy ideas at the moment but I will keep thinking. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Thanks.  I'm not giving up until teach says no.  She's going to try to negitiate first.  I'm also figuring out if there is any other funding my kids qualify for that would apply here.  Unfortunately, they won't consider someone else.  They don't normally allow teachers to do this but made the exception as she has her masters in spec ed and 16 years experience working with kids with autism.  I tried finding an actual therapist and that did not work either.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I've thought of that stuff too.  Not sure.  I need to find out how big a financial gap we are talking about too.  If it's a couple thousand, that is one thing.  If it's 10K, that's different.  If I can get her milage covered some how I know that is a big factor in this, so that would help. 

Quoting Gloria1025:

I understand - have you gone back to the school district for help?   You have done all the work and shown that what they said wasn't possible actually is possible - there is a chance they could change their tune a litte (you are doing their job for them after all.....).   - what is the worst they can do - say "no" which is no worse than where you are with them now.

Does the ABA organization have any ideas on funding sources that you can look into?  I know others have gotten one time financial support for things from Autism Speaks.  I have no idea what their process is though.  This is a tough one because it is not like it is unfunded, it is that it is "underfunded".   I am sure they are paying the "standard rate" for this type of work/service and they have to be careful of raising expectations and pushing the costs beyond reach, but I understand that personally for the teacher, it may not be enough. 

Is there any way you could "barter" with the teacher?  Are there things she spends money on that you could provide to her - like some sort of service, that would decrease her monthly bills and justify her making a little less?  Just thinking of crazy ideas at the moment but I will keep thinking. 

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Update!

Bellavy
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:35 PM
How old r your kids?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN