Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Art work, school work, awards, projects, crafts....Do you save it all?

Posted by on May. 1, 2014 at 7:14 AM
  • 15 Replies

I'm a kid stuff hoarder. I never realized it until I went through my stuff about 5 years ago and saw that I had saved each report card, macaroni necklace, and piece of scribbled on paper. So I really got rid of so much!

But I have always framed art work and hung it up...it was either in a frame on a wall or on my fridge. Now that they are all teens, I've taken most of it down but put it away in  one lonely storage tote.

And then when I die someday, they'll throw it all in a dumpster and tell everyone I was a hoarder! (damn kids) angry

Do you save it all? Do you have a system for saving it?

by on May. 1, 2014 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 1, 2014 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I save some stuff...not everything though.  Depends on what it is.  If it has his handprints/fingerprints, then I do save it.  Right now, it's all in a tub!

mypbandj
by Jen on May. 1, 2014 at 9:24 AM
I don't save everything. When my big kids were in elementary school and always bringing home stuff left and right, I threw it all in a tote. Everything!

Of course the really great stuff got framed and hung. That's always going to be on my wall. But the rest I saved in a giant tote. Then about every six months is go through it and get rid of 90% of it. I was less attached six months later.

I really like to keep original work. Like original stories or pictures rather than just fill in the blank worksheets or color pages.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on May. 1, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I try to save things I know he does. Like I know that the private preschool puts the glue and he doesn't put the stuff together by his self. I don't keep most of that.

But if it has handprints, or a first, then I'll keep it.
Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I am bad and save everything in storage containers!  My husband looks at me like I am crazy and asks me what I am ever going to do with it all?   But I can't bring myself to throw anything away yet!  Their little hands and minds worked so hard on this stuff and they are so proud of it....I know....I'm a big sap and now a hoarder I guess LOL

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 1, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I save and I purge. I keep things in folders and binders and totes and have a ton but get rid of a lot too.. My kids are only 9, 7 and 2 so I try to stay on too of it now and once a month I go through their things and decide what stays and what goes and then I do it again at me end if the school year. I also have a bulletin board in their playroom that I change every month and display their artwork and on the fridge I put school work , certificates, etc... I hang some of it in frames.. But yeah, it could be bad if I didn't stay on top of it lol

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 1, 2014 at 9:10 PM

That's what happened with me. I looked at it years later and wasn't exactly sure why I'd saved it in the first place.

Quoting mypbandj: I don't save everything. When my big kids were in elementary school and always bringing home stuff left and right, I threw it all in a tote. Everything! Of course the really great stuff got framed and hung. That's always going to be on my wall. But the rest I saved in a giant tote. Then about every six months is go through it and get rid of 90% of it. I was less attached six months later. I really like to keep original work. Like original stories or pictures rather than just fill in the blank worksheets or color pages.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 1, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Love the bulletin board idea! I wish I'd thought of that when they were younger.

Quoting Charizma77:

I save and I purge. I keep things in folders and binders and totes and have a ton but get rid of a lot too.. My kids are only 9, 7 and 2 so I try to stay on too of it now and once a month I go through their things and decide what stays and what goes and then I do it again at me end if the school year. I also have a bulletin board in their playroom that I change every month and display their artwork and on the fridge I put school work , certificates, etc... I hang some of it in frames.. But yeah, it could be bad if I didn't stay on top of it lol

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 1, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Our cat loves it too :/

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Love the bulletin board idea! I wish I'd thought of that when they were younger.

Quoting Charizma77:

N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Well at 1st i kept everything. But he has been in preschool 2 years and kindergarten 1 year. And i still have not put stuff in scrapbooks.  But finally the other month i keep what i want. Then i make 2 piles 1 for corys mom and other for corys step dad. They said they want stuff.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Guilty!  When I clear stuff out, I try to save one special thing in a bin.  Then the accumulation starts over again......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN