Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Essential oils

Posted by on May. 1, 2014 at 11:00 AM
  • 31 Replies
What kind of essential oils have helped your ASD kids?? I recently got a starter kit for my own mental health but read they can be helpful for ASD and ADHD as well.. Has anyone tried vertiver??

I tried lavender to calm max and apparently it was his "happy oil" because he laughed for about an hour after I used it. (Vs bedtime)
by on May. 1, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 1, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I don't use them on myself or my child so no clue here.  Good luck!

linz04060913
by on May. 1, 2014 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Use it externally, never internally

**~~ Saw this post on the featured posts. Felt a need to say this since some people think they're ok internally. They can cause serious problems if taken orally~~**

indyrunner
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Do you rub the essential oils on the skin or is it something that you infuse into the air?  or something else?

Obviously, I don't use them, but would be interested in knowing more about them.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I have a eucalyptusnd a lavender but I only have them for my shower. We have a steam shower and a place to put the oils so the air gets infused with it while you steam... but Ive never tried it on sam.
I use to have a lavender bath sleepy time thing for Sam, but read it caused boys to get boobs.. LOL.. so I stopped. (but AI think thats only ON skin.. not in the air.)

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 1, 2014 at 9:15 PM

It caused them to get what?!surprise mini

Quoting SamMom912:

I have a eucalyptusnd a lavender but I only have them for my shower. We have a steam shower and a place to put the oils so the air gets infused with it while you steam... but Ive never tried it on sam. I use to have a lavender bath sleepy time thing for Sam, but read it caused boys to get boobs.. LOL.. so I stopped. (but AI think thats only ON skin.. not in the air.)

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 1, 2014 at 9:15 PM

I've never tried them but hear so many positive things about them. I guess it can't hurt to try, right?

MaryJarrett
by on May. 1, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Lavender can mess with hormones if used in large amounts. It wasn't really a big issue until foods and such started containing those same hormones too (soy in everything, milk, etc).

Quoting SamMom912:

I have a eucalyptusnd a lavender but I only have them for my shower. We have a steam shower and a place to put the oils so the air gets infused with it while you steam... but Ive never tried it on sam. I use to have a lavender bath sleepy time thing for Sam, but read it caused boys to get boobs.. LOL.. so I stopped. (but AI think thats only ON skin.. not in the air.)

SamMom912
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Lavender and Tea Tree Oils May Cause Breast Growth in Boys-2007

A study published in this week’s issue of the New England Journal of Medicine suggests that repeated topical use of products containing lavender oil and/or tea tree oil may cause prepubertal gynecomastia, a rare condition resulting in enlarged breast tissue in boys prior to puberty, and for which a cause is seldom identified.

Researchers at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), confirmed in laboratory studies what a pediatric endocrinologist at the University of Colorado at Denver and Health Science Center’s School of Medicine suspected after diagnosing three of his young male patients with prepubertal gynecomastia. The researchers found an association between the use of products containing these oils and the rare disorder, but cautioned more research is needed. At this point, the findings are only applicable to young males with unexplainable enlarged breasts who are regularly using products containing these essential oils.

"We want to encourage doctors who may be seeing patients with gynecomastia to ask their patients about the products they are using. Patients with prepubertal gynecomastia may want to consider reducing the use of products that contain these oils,” said Ken Korach, Ph.D., chief, Laboratory Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology at NIEHS and author on the study. “Although we found an association between exposure to these essential oils and gynecomastia, further research is needed to determine the prevalence of prepubertal gynecomastia in boys using products containing lavender and tea tree oils. Results of such epidemiological studies are important to tell us how strong the association is between topical application of the oils and prepubertal gynecomastia”

The three otherwise healthy Caucasian boys, ages four, seven and 10 years, had normal hormonal levels when they were diagnosed with gynecomastia by Clifford Bloch, M.D., in Colorado. All had either used lavender-scented soap and skin lotions, or shampoos or styling products that contained tea tree oil and lavender oil as ingredients. In each case, several months after the suspected products were discontinued, the gynecomastia had subsided or resolved.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Quoting SamMom912:

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 1, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Good grief, is anything safe anymore?

Quoting SamMom912:

Lavender and Tea Tree Oils May Cause Breast Growth in Boys-2007

A study published in this week’s issue of the New England Journal of Medicine suggests that repeated topical use of products containing lavender oil and/or tea tree oil may cause prepubertal gynecomastia, a rare condition resulting in enlarged breast tissue in boys prior to puberty, and for which a cause is seldom identified.

Researchers at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), confirmed in laboratory studies what a pediatric endocrinologist at the University of Colorado at Denver and Health Science Center’s School of Medicine suspected after diagnosing three of his young male patients with prepubertal gynecomastia. The researchers found an association between the use of products containing these oils and the rare disorder, but cautioned more research is needed. At this point, the findings are only applicable to young males with unexplainable enlarged breasts who are regularly using products containing these essential oils.

"We want to encourage doctors who may be seeing patients with gynecomastia to ask their patients about the products they are using. Patients with prepubertal gynecomastia may want to consider reducing the use of products that contain these oils,” said Ken Korach, Ph.D., chief, Laboratory Reproductive and Developmental Toxicology at NIEHS and author on the study. “Although we found an association between exposure to these essential oils and gynecomastia, further research is needed to determine the prevalence of prepubertal gynecomastia in boys using products containing lavender and tea tree oils. Results of such epidemiological studies are important to tell us how strong the association is between topical application of the oils and prepubertal gynecomastia”

The three otherwise healthy Caucasian boys, ages four, seven and 10 years, had normal hormonal levels when they were diagnosed with gynecomastia by Clifford Bloch, M.D., in Colorado. All had either used lavender-scented soap and skin lotions, or shampoos or styling products that contained tea tree oil and lavender oil as ingredients. In each case, several months after the suspected products were discontinued, the gynecomastia had subsided or resolved.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Quoting SamMom912:

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 1, 2014 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I use pure essential oils from Young Living and love them. We use many different ones but Vetiver is a good one. I could go on and on about them but I'm holding a sleeping 2 yo and typing with one hand ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN