Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Has your child with ASD ever overcome a fear?

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Amy
  • 9 Replies

Last summer Colin overcame his fear of feeding large animals when we had the opportunity to feed the giraffes at the zoo.  He was terrified to let them eat the crackers off of his hand, but finally as we were getting ready to move on he decided to try it and he LOVED it!

What is a fear that your child has managed to overcome?

by on May. 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Rhodin
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 5:24 PM
Sitting on the toilet. It took a year of slow introduction for her to sit on it long enough to do anything. Now, she's used it often enough for us to build a chart of likely go-times and start wearing underwear all day.
wildchild.com
by Janine on May. 2, 2014 at 6:02 PM
That's awesome. Let's see my son is afraid of alot of different things. For awhile he was afraid to sit on the toliet. Why? Because he thought there were fishys in the toliet & they might bite his bum. So I had to take the cover off the back of the toilet to show him no fishys. Finally he agreed it was ok to sit. He would actually hover over the toliet.
Bobcatridge
by Carol on May. 2, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Ok, my daughter is older (now 13) - she had a severe phobia of death and dying.  She went into a severe depression over this phobia when she was 10 and we ended up doing CBT.  It took about a year and a half but now she watches anime, James Bond movies, and even will go to action adventure movies she would never ever go to before.  My daughter had a lot of other fears including fear of shots - she now takes allergy shots - doesn't like them but usually doesn't meltdown over them.  She was also afraid of all people in costumes including Santa and the Easter bunny.  Oh, Halloween was just awful.  Now she does cosplay and loves to dress up as anime characters.  It's the CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) that worked with her.  She still has lots of fears and she has generalized anxiety disorder (the reason behind all the fears) but she is better on certain things.  Hmm, someone should remind me that I wrote that after I have gotten up with her repeatedly during the night because of panic attacks, nightmares, and anxiety.  She really is better than before.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Last year he would not step one toe on grass.  On Easter he ran around barefoot for two hours!

buckeyefever
by on May. 2, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Mine absolutely would not go down a slide no matter what he tried and three almost four months ago when he started seeing his occupational therapist and she started working with him on it he started going down it. He went from not going down one at all to going down the big loopy slides at the park.

Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Fear of butterflies.  My son would run screaming like there was a house fire if and butterflies flew in his general vicinity.  He just kind of outgrew that on his own, thank goodness, but my DH has never gotten over his fear of cockroaches and he is 45! 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 3, 2014 at 6:49 AM

That's great!!!

Ricksmama
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM
My son had fear of crowded spaces like the mall or restraunts but he's learning to cope
qcmomof3
by Mariah on May. 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM
My son used to be very afraid of dogs. If one was in sight he would scream and cling to me. The school helped a lot and slowly introduced him to the dog there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN