Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Should I invite other kids if my son asked me not to?

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM
  • 18 Replies

My son is turning 5 in July and we have been discussing birthday ideas. He wants to go to Sam's Fun City because it has a train ride. He is obsessed with trains and will likely ride it over and over the entire time. He said he only wants me, his dad, and his little brother to come. He said he  wants a small quiet party (exact words). Is it bad if I don't encourage him to socialize? I don't invite kids from school but we do have a few close family friends with kids he has grown up with. 

*WE ARE GOING TO DO JUST THE 4 OF US*

by on May. 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 3, 2014 at 6:52 AM
3 moms liked this

It's his birthday.  I would do what he wants.  He can socialize with kids at school and other activies.  I would honor his wishes on his birthday.

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM
I agree with this

Quoting darbyakeep45:

It's his birthday.  I would do what he wants.  He can socialize with kids at school and other activies.  I would honor his wishes on his birthday.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 12:28 PM

I vote to honor his request.  He will have lots of future parties when he may be more ready to accept peers and socialize.  When he's ready those parties will be more successful. 

whoodathunk
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM

It's his birthday, I'd do what he wants.  Make sure to include social activities other times.  Have fun & Happy Birthday to your big guy!

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 3, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I would do what he wants for his birthday. 

L0veMy2B0ys
by on May. 3, 2014 at 12:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Small party it is!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2014 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Have fun!

kinshipcaremama
by on May. 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

My son also went through the train phase.  We went to my nieces birthday party that had a train and that was the ONLY thing he would do.  I think if you had other kids at his party they would not be as happy to ride the train over and over so what's the point of having them?  Your son can socialize in other situations, this is HIS day to do what HE wants. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 4, 2014 at 6:16 AM

That's all we've done also. I wouldn't want D to be upset at his own party, so it's his party, his decision.

Believe me, your son will have a much better time with the people he is used to!

Basherte
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:06 AM

I wouldn't invite anyone that he doesn't want there. You can encourage him to invite more people, but his birthday isn't the time to be "pushing" him. 

That is a special day for him and should be all that he wants it to be.

I would just have the people that he wants there, there. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN