Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Problems with the School - SO upset...

Posted by on May. 3, 2014 at 5:28 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

I posted over on the homeschool board too, but I thought some of you might have some input...

Ok, first let me say, if this post sounds crazy, I appologize.  I am exhausted with dealing with DS's public school.  My DS age 10 has high functioning autism (Aspergers) and I suspect possibly ADHD but this is not diagnosed.  He is currently in 3rd  grade at his public school, but I suspect his is functioning at a 2nd grade/early 3rd grade level in most of his subjects.  He has a current IEP which provides for Special Ed classes and also a 30 minute weekly OT session.

Earlier this year he had to be moved from his assigned 3rd grade class room due to bullying -- BY HIS TEACHER!  Now we are having issues with the Special Education teacher telling him he is lazy (I don't think this is her place at all.)

Long story short, I finally have DH on board with taking DS out of public school and homeschooling him.  However, we are in the strict state of good ole Pennsylvania and I am confused and scared to death of trying to take a special needs student from a public school.  I have no idea what curriculum to choose or how to even be able to afford one of the box curriculums I've been reading about.  I just want him out of a bad situation and somewhere where someone will care about him learning what he needs to without being rushed on to the next thing.

Can anyone give me any advise?  It would be so greatly appreciated.  Even if you think I'm wrong and want to say so, it's fine.  I just want to be a good mom instead of letting him fall between the cracks like it appears he is doing.

by on May. 3, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jowen905
by Jan on May. 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I'm sorry, I don't have any info to help you about homeschooling, but I'm sure some of these moms will.  The bullying from teachers is not acceptable - have you taken the matter any higher up, like with the school district administration?  They can't be allowed to get away with that!

And if you decide that homeschooling is the best option, than I say go with your gut.  You know your son best, and if the school is not providing what he needs, you need to do what you feel is best for him.

Best of luck to you.

2and2onway
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

You could utilize K12 in PA, they provide everything, its free and accredited. http://www.k12.com/participating-schools/pennsylvania#.U2VuYvQ-co4 

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on May. 3, 2014 at 6:48 PM

My daughter did Connections Academy. It is over the internet and they supply everything the student needs free of charge. They give an internet subsidy and even supply a computer if needed.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2014 at 7:36 PM
2 moms liked this

You could try to get an advocate to prove that his needs have not been met and maybe try to get private placement

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2014 at 7:55 PM

I'm sorry you are going through this.  I have no advice, but wish you luck!! 

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 8:43 PM

There are private schools that give curriculum and other support for parents homeschooling children with sn.  What part of the state are you in?

Arkmom2Two
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Western Pennsylvania -- I do believe that the school would have to, by law, provide me with the school curriculum if I ask for it.

Quoting Gloria1025:

There are private schools that give curriculum and other support for parents homeschooling children with sn.  What part of the state are you in?

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 6:06 AM

I have a friend who homeschooled her son from 6th grade on and used this school for help :  www.upattinas.org. She said it was really helpful for not only curriculum support and making sure he was on track for state testing but they also helped her with teaching techniques customized for her son.  They lived too far away for him to attend but she would go every month or 2 for consultation on what she was doing.The district did pay some of the fees too.  I am not sure if there is a school like this in your part of the state.

Quoting Arkmom2Two:

Western Pennsylvania -- I do believe that the school would have to, by law, provide me with the school curriculum if I ask for it.

Quoting Gloria1025:

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 4, 2014 at 6:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Did you join the homeschooling group here? I did! I haven't posted much there but I do read and take it all in! I also am talking to two homeschool groups around me. The group here has a link to your state's requirements and a couple of other links....

http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/18299089/Homeschooling_Laws?next=41

I was just about to post something my daughter witnessed at the highschool with the special ed class. It has given me the definitive answers I've been looking for. There is no WAY Dillon is going to that high school. Not unless I'n dead and Dh has no choice. I'm not kidding.

Reach out to other homeschoolers around you and online. It will help a million fold. And remember one thing, he is YOUR child and if the public school isn;t doing their job, then you take it into your own hands. I'm a little afraid like you, but at the same time, determined to not only do a better job, but to find a style of learning and living that makes Dillon happy.

You can do this!!!

Basherte
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Can you be his teacher?

That way you can be sure that he is getting what he needs. Isn't being pushed to go on to other things before he is ready. 

I'm in PA too.

My son is doing well in preschool. Things might change once he hits kindergarten but we are taking it one day at a time right now.

Do NOT let them bully you into keeping him somewhere when you know that he needs more than they are providing.

You could always find another school. As long as the school district that he is in is willing to pay for him to go to the other place, it's okay for him to go there. Especially if it's because they can't give him what he needs where he is at right now.

AND that seems to be the case. 

I don't know much about home schooling as I haven't researched it for myself yet. (will if we cross that bridge)

I know that there are online schools that he could go to. Look up k-12, not sure what the website is called. 

They are reasonable, and have outside activities that he would have to go to as well, so I hope you have a car.

Since schools are not encouraging social interaction anymore, it's almost a mute point to keep them in school.

Right now my son is encouraged to have social interactions.  Which is what he needs(among other things) so I keep him there. Plus he loves going there.

Oh and I can't believe that your child was being bullied by a teacher. What has this world come to when a teacher feels it's okay to bully a student? I thought teachers were there to teach children and encourage them in their endevors... not bully them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)