• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gender Identity Issues?

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Amy
  • 6 Replies

Gender Identity Issues Linked to Autism, ADHD

Has your child expressed a desire to be the opposite sex?

by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 4, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Nope.  

kinshipcaremama
by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Never.  

lucasmadre
by Kari on May. 4, 2014 at 7:56 PM

No he hasn't but I wouldn't say he was a typical boy's boy either. I think has a health identity and self imagine.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Actually, I have always wanted to be a boy. I really dislike being a girl. I'm okay with it now, but if I had a choice, I'd be a boy. The make up, the 'looks' competition, the period ugh! And the social life of a girl is *so* much more complicated.

And the expectation to cook & be clean & your eggs expire at 35. You can procreate at 40 or 45 if your the dude.

But I wouldn't classify my gripes as identity issues, I don't think
jconney80
by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I do see this pattern. My son is very sensitive. He's easily scared of things most boys think are cool. He likes watching My Little Pony and Star Wars shows. He doesn't say he wants to be the opposite sex but he definitely prefers to be around girls. I recently read an article about how autistic male brains are like that of typically developing females and autistic female brains are more like that of a typically developing male brain. Obviously that isn't the case for everyone but it was a very interesting perspective. My girls like lots of boy toys and playing outside. My son prefers to not get dirty and has an easier time understanding girls. I am sure I have Aspergers and when I was a kid I did not want to be a girl. I played with all boy friends. I dressed like a boy. I don't have gender identity issues but I can see how easily a person who feels that strongly might. I have known quite a few people with gender identity issues that are on the spectrum. As an adult I'm not super girly but I know how to dress up when I need to or want to. I don't walk around dressed like a boy anymore :)

TheJerseyGirl
by on May. 5, 2014 at 5:29 AM

Never!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)