Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Over-stimulation

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 6:15 PM
  • 8 Replies

Yesterday evening we went to a wedding and it was a little loud for my daughter when a whole lot of people were talking, but when the dance music comes on she doesn't seem to be bothered even if it makes your ears bleed. She just LOVES music and LOVES TO DANCE!!! We got there early because I made the cakes and had to set them up, and while I was doing that my husband was watching her and they were testing out the reception music. My daughter was dancing away on the dance floor before the party ever even started, lol. And there were colorful spinning lights and twinkling lights outside when it started getting dark and ceiling fans, and and and ......... SO much stimulation. My daughter seemed to really enjoy it and was even really upset when we had to drag her off the dance floor to go home, but where I thought she might pass out on the ride home from sheer exhaustion she was TOO exhausted to sleep. 

And when I tried getting her to go to sleep over 2 hours later, she had lots of trouble ..... and I asked my husband to lay down with her to see if maybe him being with her instead of me would help. BIG mistake. I heard her start screaming, then my husband was screaming and he came out yelling because she broke his glasses. Sigh. Finally went to sleep a little after 11pm and got up at 5am. And when she woke up at 5am she was ready to dance some more. It's been a looooonnnnggg day.

But she did enjoy herself last night, even though I obviously needed to handle the situation different. I was trying to rely on my husband because I made the freaking wedding cakes. But that didn't work out too well. But ......... here's a pic of the cakes, lol.

by on May. 4, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 4, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Wow...your cakes are gorgeous!!!   You are super talented!  Nice job!

I'm glad she enjoyed herself at the wedding and she found something she could without noticing much about others.  Sorry she was awake for so long!  Hugs!

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on May. 4, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Thanks. There's lots of flaws ofcourse ....... it could always be better but I'm thankful it at least all came together and nothing was destroyed. I won't be making another wedding cake until my daughter is alot older, lol. 

She did have fun but it was just too much. She just had to keep moving because her mind couldn't tell her otherwise and her poor little body was just exhausted.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Wow...your cakes are gorgeous!!!   You are super talented!  Nice job!

I'm glad she enjoyed herself at the wedding and she found something she could without noticing much about others.  Sorry she was awake for so long!  Hugs!

johnns
by on May. 4, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Nice job on the cakes! My DD can get wound up pretty good- she loves to dance also!
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Omg Those cakes are amazing!!!! You CAN NOT not make cakes until she is older... You are so talented.. You need to share your gift!!!! WOW!!! 

did you try any deep pressure or any kind of proporioceptive input to help calm her? Lay on her with a pillow. Pressing down firmly, but not enough to hurt her... A pillow fight... Roll her tight in a blanket like a enchilada... Hold her tight in. The blanket and swing her side to side... These will help regulate her body better and calm down... Im sure with the dancing..and the jumping.. And the twirling lights noise her internal engine was running crazy high... These deep pressue exercises get her engine running lower. 

A really good thing to check out is "how does your engine run".. Theres a whole - tigger (high) pooh (middle/good) and eyore (low) picture chart.. Maybe it can help? 

HUGS! i am blown away by those cakes!!!! Youre amazing!!! On so many levels!!! :) 

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on May. 4, 2014 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

This is why I need to put a swing up in her sensory room. I have a bunch of proprioceptive activities and she loves them dearly but they all activate her. It's the vestibular activities like swinging and rocking that calm her down. I would have tried the rocking chair last night but she was too wound up to allow me to do so ...... same with wrapping her in a blanket. But she's always willing to sit in a swing. Now I know it's not just a want ..... it's an absolute need because so far its the only thing that really calms her when she gets over-stimulated. And I'm going to look into the "How you engine runs" .... that looks extremely helpful, thanks!

And thank you so much about the cake!! I so love baking but I need a safe place to do it away from my daughter. Maybe when she starts pre-school I'll be able to do things like this. I am going to make a friend's baby shower cake in a few months. I just can't handle a cake of this magnitude again for a while, lol.

Quoting SamMom912:

Omg Those cakes are amazing!!!! You CAN NOT not make cakes until she is older... You are so talented.. You need to share your gift!!!! WOW!!! 

did you try any deep pressure or any kind of proporioceptive input to help calm her? Lay on her with a pillow. Pressing down firmly, but not enough to hurt her... A pillow fight... Roll her tight in a blanket like a enchilada... Hold her tight in. The blanket and swing her side to side... These will help regulate her body better and calm down... Im sure with the dancing..and the jumping.. And the twirling lights noise her internal engine was running crazy high... These deep pressue exercises get her engine running lower. 

A really good thing to check out is "how does your engine run".. Theres a whole - tigger (high) pooh (middle/good) and eyore (low) picture chart.. Maybe it can help? 

HUGS! i am blown away by those cakes!!!! Youre amazing!!! On so many levels!!! :) 

jowen905
by Jan on May. 4, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Your cakes are awesome, I wish I could make something so beautiful!  It sounds like she had a great, yet overstimulating time!  I hope tonight is going better for all of you and you can get a good night's sleep.

TheJerseyGirl
by on May. 5, 2014 at 5:33 AM

Those cakes are amazing!

TheJerseyGirl
by on May. 5, 2014 at 5:34 AM

YES! I agree! Keep making those cakes, girl!

Quoting SamMom912:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)