Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Going on a field trip? *UPDATE!*

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 1:22 PM
  • 33 Replies

D had two field trips this year.. A ball game and a play. He didn't go to either... One got cancelled... And I don't think there are anymore.

It's a shame because he loves the bus rides to and from... Not the trip so much. Usually if I can't go, he doesn't go either. But I feel bad they don't schedule anything fun!

Have your kids gone on any field trips? Did they enjoy themselves? Share pictures if you have any!

*UPDATE* Believe it or not, he came home with a slip for a trip to a Cow Sanctuary. I'm not making this up, ladies! ***COWS*** Boy, nothing says excitement like a Cow farmeye rolling

It's a little town about 15 minutes from me on the water...we go there all the time to the marina. They have a little Museum and a sandwich shop where the kids are going to be able to order off the menu and have lunch.

I guess that's better than nothing!

by on May. 6, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Littledudesmomm
by Missy on May. 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM

DS's class has at least one field trip a month (his teacher calls them community experiences ). This month he has one every friday. The last one is a picnic for his class and all the parents. He's also been on  two field trips with the 3rd class that he takes math and science in. No pictures as I've never been able to make it to any of the field trips expect the family picnic and those pics are on my phone.

Littledudesmomm
by Missy on May. 6, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Mobile Photo

He loves to swing. When at parks this is where he spends most of his time.

Mobile Photo

This is his little brother and he loves slides. The taller the better in his mind.

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Both my boys want chickens. My youngest wants a pet chicken to keep in the house, LOL (not happening).

Mobile Photo

SamMom912
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2014 at 2:31 PM

It depends...
Sam refused a trip to Sleepy Hollow (the home of Ichabod Crane and the legend) as we live super close to that town...(2 towns awaY0 The school trip was planned on Halloween (or the day before?) and Sam was too scared. LOL...
He has another one in 2 weeks to a farm to learn about solar energy. Im hoping he goes.
Last year I went on one... it was "eh".. just a long day at a local park/zoo. Sam didnt enjoy it. :( I just think TOO long.. too much walking... too much chaos with other kids (entire grade went-- about 150 kids) and the second one was cancelled due to weather.

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on May. 6, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Yep. They went to the rodeo to learn about animals not too long ago. Now Thaddeus has a trip this week. They are going bowling and to McDonalds to work on their social skills.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 6, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Nope. He's too young:)
Bobcatridge
by Carol on May. 6, 2014 at 7:42 PM

I went on all the field trips because I could help with my daughter.  Field trips are a change in routine and are disturbing to my daughter because of that.  In the lower grades the field trips were local and parents drove mostly although there was one bus ride in the 3rd grade to the dump of all things - it was on recyling.  My daughter thought it was boring - well all the kids thought it was boring. It was boring! In the 4th grade they went to 5 different missions and I went on every field trip.  Oh yes, that same year there was that field trip to plant trees on a local farm.  My daughter is severely allergic to all grasses.  Besides itching all over she got an asthma attack.  It was a good thing I was there.  In 5th grade they did a 3 day science camp and I had to go because they wouldn't allow my daughter to go unless I went.  It was true - I needed to be there.  Then in 6th grade the school says no parents only teachers for field trips  Ok, fine - they ended up sending someone along just to keep an eye on my daughter.  They didn't want to do that again. This year (7th grade) they did a 4 day science camp to Yosemite and I had to go or she couldn't go.  My daughter suffered exclusionary bullying by the other kids and I had a foot problem and then there was the grass allergy again.  I am so tired of field trips but my daughter always wants to go on them and then is unhappy, disappointed and depressed afterwards.  Next year we are doing a hybrid homeschool- no more field trips as such only small get togethers with a few other kids.  Much more manageable.  Look, I know you want those field trips for your kid  - it is all a part of belonging - but they are not that great.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Mine are going to a farm on Friday.  It is about a 40 minute bus ride, and they are thrilled!! 

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on May. 6, 2014 at 8:35 PM
There was no trips with early intervention.

And with the private school, there are 2 trips. Nicolas missed the fall trip to the pumpkin farm. He was in the 6 week feeding clinic at this time. And his next trip is at Eden mill. (It is a nature center) that is in about 3 weeks. Nicolas wants to go. The end of the year picnic isn't something we are going to do though.
Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 6, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Ashton had a field trip to the Orthodontist and a picnic lunch at a park last Friday and this Friday his 3rd grade class is going to some kind of park and they are learning about environmental education or something like that..Im not really sure..lol... But he likes field trips and especially getting out of doing school work 

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 6, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Here's a few pics from his field trip last May to Old Economy Village. My hubby was one to the chaperones to go (I'm kind of bummed neither of us are going this year to take pics but it will be good for him to not have us there).  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)