Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

WHAT in the world will you do with your kids all Summer?

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 8:55 AM
  • 31 Replies

It's almost here! *insert the face of fear* How do you fill their days? What's planned? Do they get bored or out of sorts because of the lack of routine?

At my house, we can't wait!! *insert 45 year old doing cartwheels * D will wake up at 6 AM and immediately say "What are we going to do today?" lol! It drives me crazy! But I love them being home and all 3 really enjoy it! We do lots of day trips to the beach (45 minutes away), bbq's and pool time, and car rides after dinner that end in getting ice cream. Boring but good. We are hoping to get away one week at the end of August but not sure where we are headed? D is hoping to get to Disney...we'll see.

What about at your house?

by on May. 8, 2014 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on May. 8, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Well 6 weeks are booked with the summer language program I got my daughter into. Paid for it yesterday so we are set to go! :)  It's four days a week so I figure the other days with be resting and processing for her. Then the remainder will be lots of playdates with our playgroup. And we're going on vacation the last week of July, although don't know where we're going yet either.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM

I should really put Dillon in something, but I have no idea where that is or what it is!

Vacation will depend on how much money there is...lol!

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Well 6 weeks are booked with the summer language program I got my daughter into. Paid for it yesterday so we are set to go! :)  It's four days a week so I figure the other days with be resting and processing for her. Then the remainder will be lots of playdates with our playgroup. And we're going on vacation the last week of July, although don't know where we're going yet either.

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Both of my boys go the esy. But we do have trips planned for the weekend, camping, going to the beach, visiting family and a trip to Wisconsin. That's a big maybe though, my dh and me haven't really decided if we are going or not. But we will have bbqs, picnics, going to the park, swimming and whatever else we plan on doing at the spur of the moment. 

ladyvamp5489
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Swimming, walks to the park, summer camp, games, bikes, WII, movies...

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Xavier has his usual therapies Monday- Thursday. Friday is our adventure day. We buy a state park pass and go to the state parks for the day. There's five or six within an hour and half distance from us. Most offer free swimming either in a pool or the waterfalls. Hiking trails, playgrounds and picnic areas.
On Thursday afternoons we go to the farmers market and then play in the fountain. Have lunch at the library and then visit our parent resource center. We'll probably go camping a few times. And we are planning a big trip to Virginia Beach for a week. And a trip to the state Fair. I'm looking forward to it.
I AM NOT DOING CHILD CARE I DON'T CARE WHO ASKS ME. I somehow even after saying I'm done with child care I end up helping a friend or neighbor out. But not this year.
AJsMom81507
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:57 AM

DS goes to camp for 6 weeks during the summer, paid for by the town (its a special ed camp) and it's located at the beach.  it is an amazing camp.  if he didnt go to camp, he would go to the extended school program for 6 weeks.

so that really leaves us with 3 weeks to fill.  We are going to Disney World, and we will be taking various 2-3 day vacations in between.

Bobcatridge
by Carol on May. 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM

My 13 yr old daughter had her last day of school last Friday and is now on mediccal leave for the rest of the school year due to bullying resulting in depression.  This week she is doing nothing.  Next week the therapist and I will be beginning some intensive social skills work which will continue throughout the summer.  She is also training her new rabbit for 4H showmanship.  In June she will be competeing with the rabbit and will be going to College for Kids for three weeks - she will be taking 2D Animation and Claymation.  In July she has mid-state fair (rabbit showmanship), Renaissance Fair, and an autism camp.  Several of the 4H girls are planning to dress up for the renaissance fair.  My daughter is going as a hunter elf and one friend is going as a fawn.  My daughter may drive me up the wall with that elf costume.  These are more cosplay type costumes.  In addition, there is a family owned houseboat that we will visit 3 times over the summer - Memorial Day, beginning of Aug, and Labor Day.  I don't know - we might have overscheduled.  My daughter also wants to take aikido and horseback riding.  Now the interesting part of this is that daughter is still depressed and it is a major ordeal just to get her out of the house.  The concept was to give her a fun active summer with lots of opportunity for social interaction.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Thankfully my son was able to get into the 6 week summer session for school, so that will help a lot! We will still have a month at the end of the summer to fill though, and I'll be 8-9 months pregnant at that time, so I'm kind of afraid! Definetly going to take advantage of the Regal summer movie series, and spend some time at the lake. Will probably take a couple of trips to the zoo, but other then that, I'm really not sure what the plan is.
mamalena137
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My 5 year old will be doing esy for part of the summer. We are going on a road trip for a weekend to my cousin's wedding. Otherwise I'll have to see if his dad has anything he wants to do with him. He gets married at the end of the summer, so we'll see.

mypbandj
by Jen on May. 8, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Liam will be in 4 weeks of summer camp. One camp is just the regular preschool camp that has been around for 40 years. Both my other kids did it and really enjoyed it. I pray that Liam will go and be happy and doesn't spend all his time anxious and crying. They start out at a preschool and are divided into smaller groups that rotate through stations: craft, song, story and snack. The actual building is inside a big park that has a zoo, mini train, carousel and aquatic center. So everyday they will go to the aquatic center to swim (the pool will only be open to them so no worries about it being too crowded). And then on other days they will do the other things, like field trip to the zoo, ride the carousel and mini train. And Liam LOVES that train. We buy a packet of train tickets and ride it weekly. Only problem is that he usually demands to sit on the purple car. I wonder how that's gonna go over at camp.

Then he will do a 2nd camp - Communication Camp. It's an extenstion of his preschool and they will continue to work on his communication goals. They also offered us 3 weeks of summer school but I can't. Its only offered at 8:30 am and it's 45 mins away. Liam doesn't even get up half the time until 8:30. I just can't see us even getting there on time. Although I would LOVE to take him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)