Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Do you have Family Members who don't believe your child's Autism is real?

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM
  • 22 Replies

Do you have Family Members who don't believe your child's Autism is real? If so, what do they attribute your child's struggles to? How have you dealt with this ignorance? Your answers could be included in an upcoming post on The Stir.

by on May. 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladyvamp5489
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM

My family dont believe in DX behaviors and such, just says thats how they are. They dont even believe my middle is serverly ADHD/ODD either.

lasombrs
by Sara on May. 8, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Don't believe it isn't real? ..... So they believe the diagnosis?

I have family who doesn't believe it. They think he is just bad. They think he is rude, moody, just difficult. We just don't visit them or talk to them. It's sad he doesn't get to see his cousins and grand parents but it's better then them picking on him. They feel his auto inflammatory disease is made up as well.
Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on May. 8, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, I've fixed that. Thanks!

Quoting lasombrs: Don't believe it isn't real? ..... So they believe the diagnosis? I have family who doesn't believe it. They think he is just bad. They think he is rude, moody, just difficult. We just don't visit them or talk to them. It's sad he doesn't get to see his cousins and grand parents but it's better then them picking on him. They feel his auto inflammatory disease is made up as well.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 11:14 AM
I did, but they are starting to come around, now that my son is getting older and he isn't "growing out of it".
trippyhippy
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2014 at 11:21 AM
No, my son is severe.
jesusrocks2013
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Yes. My older sister who keeps on lecturing me on raising a disabled child. As if she knew, first of all she has no kids herself and she is not married. But, that is ok, I forgive her for her ignorance .

Yamilajigsaw ribbonamerican flag ribbon

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2014 at 11:52 AM
No. As a matter of fact my mother thinks that I should be retested. I was tested for it nearly 25 years ago.
DylannMadiesmom
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Well, at first my sister-in-law said I just needed to spank him. She realized soon after that there was something more going on and now completely understands.

My MIL doesn't agree. She just says she "doesn't know why he is like that." My DH has this same attitude. They don't believe that autism is a "real thing." Even after hearing how the teachers at his school dx'd him, DH still doesn't believe that could be possible and doesn't want us to get an official dx.

Littledudesmomm
by Missy on May. 9, 2014 at 1:42 AM

My in-laws, my father-in-law most of all. When we working on getting my oldest DS diagnosed (he had just been diagnosed with ADHD) my father-in-law told me that Dylan was just begin a boy and the he was normal. He offered to come back here (they live 5 hours away from us) to set the doctors and teachers straight. Right now we just don't make a lot of trips out there. We've made so much progress with we don't want to say something and ruin it all.

Haven't told them yet that our youngest DS is begin evaluated for Autism and sensory disorders. Can't imagine what they would say to that.

Gabesmom15
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 2:45 AM
My dad, which we live with, thinks Gabe is lazy, spoiled, weird because of video games, and I just need to be stricter on him. Of course this is the same man that didn't believe in panic attacks until he had one. Since his panic attack he no longer says he doesn't think Autism is real but he still hasn't a knowledge Gabe is on the spectrum either. He is still hard on Gabe and says I'm to easy on him. I remember how I was raised. I was always grounded or in trouble and humiliated to keep me "humble".I rebeled very bad and it pushed me into some very risky situations. Our home was always a battlefield. I never wanted to raise Gabe that way and I never will! Mostly I let his rants go in one ear and out the other and just do the best I can for Gabe. Always will!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)