Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

IEP tips please

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son is going from 2nd year of ESE pre-k to a regular kindergarten class at a new school. We are doing an IEP review at the end of this month and I am filling out the parent input form. Any suggestions on must have input? I am not even fully aware of all the possible ways the school can help. He needs help with social and sensory issues. He also has frequent meltdowns and anxiety. Should I request the school re-evaluate him since we have a medical diagnosis? I just want to be prepared and know what to ask for. Thanks everyone! :)

by on May. 8, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
emarin77
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:48 PM

With an IEP he can receive speech therapy.  If there are OT or ABA therapists at the school they can do sensory therapy for your child.  Temper tamptrums are due to dificulties communicating their feelings.  I suggest telling the speech therapist to focus on this and teach you how you can help him with learning how to communicate feelings.  This skill can help relieve anxiety too.  Give all medical diagnoses from his doctor to the school.

kinshipcaremama
by on May. 9, 2014 at 8:57 PM

My son was involved with a social skills group from K on.  It really is helpful and I would suggest you request it.  OT, PT, ABA and speech are important for a lot of kids.  Do you think your son needs a one on one aid?  Not all kids do but mine sure did, and he had one from K through high school.  I doubt the school will do another eval until you get to your three year point.  At least that was my experience.  They did do a FBA in elementary school when he was really struggling but I got the impression that didn't happen very often....granted, that was a long time ago so it may be different now.

L0veMy2B0ys
by on May. 10, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Quoting kinshipcaremama:

My son was involved with a social skills group from K on.  It really is helpful and I would suggest you request it.  OT, PT, ABA and speech are important for a lot of kids.  Do you think your son needs a one on one aid?  Not all kids do but mine sure did, and he had one from K through high school.  I doubt the school will do another eval until you get to your three year point.  At least that was my experience.  They did do a FBA in elementary school when he was really struggling but I got the impression that didn't happen very often....granted, that was a long time ago so it may be different now.

I am not sure if he needs an aid or not. Can you give me some benefits of an aid and why your son needed one? My son is very verbal but has a lot of anxiety. Lots of stuff sets him off. He is high functioing and talks very well but has a hard time asking for help or telling us a need. He usually meltsdown first. He expects us to be psychic lol. Also just for my knowledge.... is that many tantrums a lot? average? 

If the school agreed I think and aid would be awesome to have in his regular kindergarten class.

shell3m
by on May. 10, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Dean does half a day reg classes and half special ed classes BUT he has and aid come and get him to take him back to his special class if he has a massive meltdown. He also has speech and other therapies during the school day.
DylannMadiesmom
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Your DS sounds similar to mine, high functioning, very verbal but has a hard time in social situations and asking for what he wants/needs.

My ds has an IEP. They have a paraprofessional with him in the classroom to help him. But he actually spends half the day (give or take, depending on the day) with a special education teacher. They work on social skills, OT, and he has adaptive PE (because of a birth defect, not ASD). He has actually improved so much just in a year!

Quoting L0veMy2B0ys:

Quoting kinshipcaremama:

I am not sure if he needs an aid or not. Can you give me some benefits of an aid and why your son needed one? My son is very verbal but has a lot of anxiety. Lots of stuff sets him off. He is high functioing and talks very well but has a hard time asking for help or telling us a need. He usually meltsdown first. He expects us to be psychic lol. Also just for my knowledge.... is that many tantrums a lot? average? 

If the school agreed I think and aid would be awesome to have in his regular kindergarten class.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN