Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Gabe has his first job....maybe? Update!

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 2:05 AM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

Update on Gabe. The Tom's Strawberry flavor toothpaste is working. He still isn't brushing as much as needed but he has started and that is progress. Thank you for all the wonderful advice and support!

Gabe had his first interview today. He interviewed at a local movie theater. He looked good, brushed teeth, clean brushed hair (still no hair cut but I'll call clean brushed hair a win), dress pants with a button up shirt, and he even shaved the little facial hair he had! :)

I think he got the job but Gabe isn't so sure because the interviewer said she thought "she may hire him". She described the job and what he needed for the uniform. She also said she thought he would be a good fit and he would like working there. She took copies of his ID and social security card and had him fill out a form. She also said she needed his banking information to set up direct deposit because that is how they pay. He doesn't "think" she gave him an orientation date.

I have to drop the direct deposit information off sometime tomorrow. I think he was hired but the manager did not speak in concrete terms and Gabe is having trouble reading between the lines. Oh how I wish I could have been in the interview with him just so I could put him at ease. Well, I'm hoping when I drop the paper work off I'll get to ask about the orientation date. Am I wrong or does it sound like he got the job? I mean why else would they request the direct deposit information if they weren't interested in hiring him?

******Update*******

We turned in his banking information this morning and he is now setup for orientation on the 22nd. :)  He is  working man. We have to get his uniform and he has to get a Food Handlers Card within 30 days from the 22nd. He is excited and a little nervous. I don't think he likes the idea of giving up his weekends but he is already listing the Video Games he wants to buy with his first paycheck. :) I'm very proud of him and I hope this ends up being a good experience for him.

by on May. 9, 2014 at 2:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HippoCat
by Hadley on May. 9, 2014 at 2:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like he got the job to me. Way to go Gabe!

Gabesmom15
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 2:19 AM
Thank you :) It sound like he got it to me too. I'm not sure how I'm going to bring up the orientation date without seeming like a helicopter mom or looking pushy but Gabe doesn't remember and that is kind of important.

Quoting HippoCat:

Sounds like he got the job to me. Way to go Gabe!

Gabesmom15
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 4:13 AM
I really hope if he does have the job they speak to him in more concrete terms. I can see someone saying " Gabe the bathrooms are dirty" and Gabe responding "yeah they are" missing that they are trying to tell him to clean the bathrooms. Now if they just said "Gabe go clean the bathrooms" he would without an issue.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 9, 2014 at 5:37 AM
1 mom liked this

It definitely sounds positive, because like you said, why ask for that sort of info?

This would be so so good for him. I'm crossing my fingers he gets it and it works out for him!

amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 9, 2014 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds promising to me.  Congrats to Gabe!

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Gabesmom15: I really hope if he does have the job they speak to him in more concrete terms. I can see someone saying " Gabe the bathrooms are dirty" and Gabe responding "yeah they are" missing that they are trying to tell him to clean the bathrooms. Now if they just said "Gabe go clean the bathrooms" he would without an issue.

Fingers crossed for Gabe. (He is so cute! I'd give him a job just on how cute he is! ;)

I would also speak w/ the manager and let him/her know what's up w/ him. (They'll notice pretty quickly)

It might also garner some pre-empt empathy.

Good luck mom!

Senile-felines
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Way to go! My son's first job was last summer. He also has to be spoken to in concrete terms.
Gabesmom15
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

Quoting Gabesmom15: I really hope if he does have the job they speak to him in more concrete terms. I can see someone saying " Gabe the bathrooms are dirty" and Gabe responding "yeah they are" missing that they are trying to tell him to clean the bathrooms. Now if they just said "Gabe go clean the bathrooms" he would without an issue.

Fingers crossed for Gabe. (He is so cute! I'd give him a job just on how cute he is! ;)

I would also speak w/ the manager and let him/her know what's up w/ him. (They'll notice pretty quickly)

It might also garner some pre-empt empathy.

Good luck mom!

Thank you! I figure I will talk to her once he starts orientation. Also thank you I think he is pretty cute but then again I am his mom. :)

Gabesmom15
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Quoting Senile-felines: Way to go! My son's first job was last summer. He also has to be spoken to in concrete terms.

Did he do good?

wildchild.com
by Janine on May. 10, 2014 at 7:28 AM
I hope he got it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)