Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I feel depressed from all this (caution EXTREME language)

Posted by on May. 9, 2014 at 7:38 PM
  • 26 Replies
Not ds either. He's my sunshine. It's this woman who teaches him. You know, not even her really. She's a dedicated teacher who loves the kids in her program but I emailed her and I offended her.

BTW she TOTALLY misconstrued what I said. I made reference to her extended absence at the beginning of the year (read: I said "your absence" in reference to the classroom) and while I meant the shitty condition of there being several subs over time and zilch in communication from them which wasn't to do with her at all and no one knowing his baseline, she took it as me digging at her for being home with her son while he recovered from open heart surgery and my not caring about how he almost died. Never mind that I had no way to know ANY of that, it's not what I meant!

If that's not bad enough, this other chick who I hesitate to call a principal but for the fact she has the title, refuses to let me explain myself. Like 100% communication cut off. I can't ask how my sons day went, nothing. She swears THAT kind of communication isn't being restricted but she won't read my emails or take my phone calls. I'm supposed to "give her time and space" with 3 weeks to go in the year.

Here's the grand Mack daddy cherry of horse shit: his IEP was May 7th. I'm holding onto an unsigned IEP while I decide to accept/reject the offer of FAPE where they want him BACK IN HER CLASS next year. I can't guarantee she won't take something else the wrong way and BOOM cut off again. And his behavior has tanked (colors based thing) coinciding with the beginning of this whole ordeal.

I swear that I stepped out of adulthood and into elementary school. What job in the world lets you forgo part of your job because you "feel hurt" by someone. FFs. I heard my beloved grandpa died on my 15 minute break at Taco Bell. I was manager in charge and people were depending on me so what did I do? I wiped my tears and finished my shift. That's what adults do.

And all I want to do is explain myself and move past it but now I'm forced to decline FAPE and request alternate placement.

Thanks for letting me get that out. And screw that principal. And the teacher to a lesser face palm type way. People need to get their shit together.
by on May. 9, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
donnag013
by New Member on May. 9, 2014 at 7:45 PM

That's very disrespectful of her. You maybe could request a conference with her and the principal to explain yur comment, and how her response has affected you and your son. The rest of her crap is just wrong. She needs to get a grip and be a professional no matter her personal feelings.

And I say this as an ESE teacher who taught self-contained for 10 years.

MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 8:38 PM
I've asked....and asked and asked and asked. Alone, with the principal, with the principal and superintendent, the whole IEP team, all big fat "no"s. Thank you at least I know I'm not completely mental. I don't even care how she feels about me I just need to be sure she'll do her job. I guess when she sees emails from me she has a panic attack. And I'm supposed to trust my son to her?

Quoting donnag013:

That's very disrespectful of her. You maybe could request a conference with her and the principal to explain yur comment, and how her response has affected you and your son. The rest of her crap is just wrong. She needs to get a grip and be a professional no matter her personal feelings.

And I say this as an ESE teacher who taught self-contained for 10 years.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM

That school blew the situation way out of proportion, and they have no right to deny you information about your kid or to talk to his teacher.  This is ridiculous.  Personally, I don't think I could put my child in her class again just because of the situation.  It will always be in both your minds, and what kind of job is she going to do with your kid.  I'm sorry this happened to you over a misunderstanding they won't let you explain.  Not ok! 

wildchild.com
by Janine on May. 9, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Hugs!
Ajisai43
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:13 AM

What an unfortunate chain of events.  It sounds like you are doing everything you can to clear up the situation, and being met with such resistance must be incredibly frustrating for you.  I wish I knew what to tell you to just get a line of communicating going but I haven't got any ideas other than a registered letter, perhaps? A call to the BOA? Get an advocate or something? It is quite ridiculous, how the "professionals" are behaving, but you are the mother of a child that is suffering because of them, you are trying to help, and they need to get it together.  Hugs, and best of luck to you!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 10, 2014 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, if you request an IEP meeting, they are required by law to give you one.  I would request an IEP meeting so you can sign the IEP (or make changes), therefore forcing the teacher (at least) to be present so you can clear this up.  That's what I would do.  Hugs mama!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 10, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Otherwise...I'd hire an advocate.

MissTacoBell
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 3:52 PM
She was present at the IEP but I was warned before it began that if I brought up the email they (the principal) would suspend the IEP.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Honestly, if you request an IEP meeting, they are required by law to give you one.  I would request an IEP meeting so you can sign the IEP (or make changes), therefore forcing the teacher (at least) to be present so you can clear this up.  That's what I would do.  Hugs mama!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 10, 2014 at 3:58 PM

They can't do that.  You know that right?  They can't suspend an IEP over that!  I'd hire an advocate ASAP if I were you!

Quoting MissTacoBell: She was present at the IEP but I was warned before it began that if I brought up the email they (the principal) would suspend the IEP.
Quoting darbyakeep45:

mustbeGRACE
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Tell them you will contact the Department of Education  in your state.

Tell them you will get a lawyer.

Tell them you will contact the media.

They will love hearing those things  :   )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)