Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Missing school for therapy?

Posted by on May. 10, 2014 at 9:04 AM
  • 23 Replies

I feel like I have been asking a ton of questions but I don't know any other ASD parents. My son is going to start OT and social skills therapy soon. Is it common for ASD kids to miss a lot of school in order to attend therapy? When he was little he missed a lot to go to speech therapy but that was just pre-k.

by on May. 10, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shell3m
by on May. 10, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Dean doesn't. He does stuff in school. He also did in home behavioral therapy after school. See if they can work around his school schedule.
sweetyazfl
by New Member on May. 10, 2014 at 9:26 AM
My son gets therapy at school (language and speech) but i take him for speech and ocupational. He miss school because afyer school he's just too cranky to deal with therapy. When he's done I take him back to school.
patnic
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I took my son out of school once a week early for Vision Therapy for 12 weeks.  The principal had to ok it.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I'm right there with you.  One of my kids only has an hour of private therapy, but the other two have 3-5 hours private weekly, plus the travel time.  If we add in ABA like we want to, it will be 3 hours daily on top of the rest they would be pulled out for.  I don't like that, but it is about what they need.  The schools aren't giving them all they need in school, so if I can't get the private before and after school, I'll be pulling them out.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 10, 2014 at 3:23 PM

My son gets therapy before and after school currently as he's in a half day preschool program.  Next year, when he goes full day, he will get therapy in school and then afterwards.  I won't take him out of school for therapy.

by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 3:39 PM
My daughter will start pre-k in the fall. It is a full day program here, but since the afternoon is nap time and I don't feel my child needs to sleep at school (I am a stay at home mom, I don't need day care), I will be picking her up from school right after lunch and bringing her home for aba, ot, and PT.
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on May. 10, 2014 at 3:57 PM
My son does preK. And because it is half day, he will get his therapy before or after school. When he does K, if he still needs feeding therapy, he probably will miss some time from school for that.
L0veMy2B0ys
by on May. 10, 2014 at 4:41 PM

The pre-k program my son is in is a full day same as kindergarten will be. It is very hard to get appointments after school because every other parent is trying to do the same. I ran into this with speech therapy. I feel like missing school is unavoidable.

faire_jour
by on May. 10, 2014 at 4:42 PM

The school should be providing the therapy.

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Yeah, unfortunatetly, I have learned this as well. DS's psychiatrist only meets during school hours, which is frustrating, but what can you do, you know? The therapy we tried before had some after school hours, but since all parents are pretty much trying to get after school hours, it was unlikely to actually get it.

Quoting L0veMy2B0ys:

The pre-k program my son is in is a full day same as kindergarten will be. It is very hard to get appointments after school because every other parent is trying to do the same. I ran into this with speech therapy. I feel like missing school is unavoidable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)