Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Routine or no?

Posted by on May. 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM
  • 22 Replies
Does your child thrive off of routine or are they okay without everyday being the same?
by on May. 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Jayden is kinda  in the middle he does better with routin but can deal with changes to his day

Ricksmama
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 2:46 PM
Rick needs routine at school but at home he's okay sometimes he will be like ok its time for lunch,or bedtime but mainly he's fine
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 10, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Brady thrives off routine...he can manage if things are different but he does struggle at times.

lady_katie
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2014 at 3:47 PM
My son regresses when his routine changes. If we go out of town for 2 days, it takes him about a week to start functioning normally (for him) again.
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on May. 10, 2014 at 4:01 PM
My son thrives with routine. But he can deal with it, if it's on his schedule and he knows what's coming next. :)
sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM

DS definitely thrives off routine, especially at school. If the routine is off at school, it completely throws him off and he doesn't do well. We don't have a specific routine at home though. There are certain things he relies on. He knows he can get up at 7:00 in the morning, and he stays right on target with that. If we have brunch or a lunch and dinner combo, he gets upset and insists we didn't have a meal and must have it. But otherwise, I think he's used to not having a specific routine at home and therefore is okay with it more.

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Yeah, knowing what is coming next also helps my son. That's a big one, too.

Quoting Nickmom1118: My son thrives with routine. But he can deal with it, if it's on his schedule and he knows what's coming next. :)

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 10, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I'm gonna go with somewhat on this question. We don't have a routine per say...not like at 8:30 am breakfast, 8:45am play....we have routines in things we do. Like breakfast, lunch and dinner are at about the same time everyday. We do have a bedtime routine and my boys always have to get dressed the same way. With my oldest, the 1st thing being his underwear, pants, shirt then socks. With my youngest, 1st is socks ( left then right), pants then shirt...( he's not potty trained yet). It's little things like that, that have routine. 

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 10, 2014 at 8:52 PM

At school they say he thrives off of routine but at home he really wants to do his own thing.

whoodathunk
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Routine...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)