Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Someone get me a band-aid! STAT!!

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Jen
  • 37 Replies

O-M-G

Liam has become ultra obsessed with band-aids. Its not so much that he just wants to play with them, but that he feels like he NEEDS them! He might get a smallish scrape of the knee and NEED one or he might just look at his skin and decide he NEEDS one. 

He totally flips out and loses his mind if you do not get him a band-aid. I had him with me at work today and he dropped a small plastic toy on his toe. Freaked-OUT! Needed a band-aid. Luckily my coworker had one and I wrapped it around his toe. But it was too big. We just had to leave becasue he was NOT going to settle down. He cannot let it go. 

I can't even count how many freak outs we've had over him needing a band-aid these last few weeks. 

Any suggestions? 

by on May. 12, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wildchild.com
by Janine on May. 12, 2014 at 8:13 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes make sure you have bandaids with you at all times Lol. My son went through this so I started the no blood no bandaid rule & that actually decreased the request for bandaids.
mypbandj
by Jen on May. 12, 2014 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I might have to try that. The problem is he freaks out, won't stop, that drives me crazy and so I give in. And that just reinforces it. I know that. Ugh.

Quoting wildchild.com: Yes make sure you have bandaids with you at all times Lol. My son went through this so I started the no blood no bandaid rule & that actually decreased the request for bandaids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on May. 12, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Do you think it might be a sensory thing? Probably a shot in the dark but I know he's your little guy that didn't want to wear anything other than those silky costumes for a while right? Maybe his skin feels ichy or funny and the tight - fitting bandaid calms the weird feeling down? If so, getting a scratch or having his skin touched wrong could make the feeling worse, causing him to be so upset. 

Like I said, total shot in the dark ..... I just know my daughter has a sensory thing about bandaids ... they CAN'T touch her. She doesn't like any sticky thing on her or that tight feeling AT ALL. Maybe your son really enjoys it. Maybe you could try getting him one of those tight fitting wrist braces and see if that tight feeling makes him not want bandaids anymore?

JAIRATRACI
by on May. 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM
I think we share a son. Lol. My son Liam is the same way. He won't even be bleeding and scream until he gets a bandaid.
Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 12, 2014 at 9:40 PM

My typical dd went through that too.. We bought her fun band aids and just let her put them on, eventually she stopped using them so much. Ashton hates band aides,.,he doesn't keep them on at all...

luvnoah10
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:59 PM

My son is the complete opposite...he refuses to wear a bandaid when he is bleeding. I have to get a wet papertowel and hold on his cut until it stops bleeding. He was at the pediatricians last month and becasue it was his 11 year old checkup he had to get a tetanus shot which he was already anxious and upset about but then before I could tell the nurse not to put a bandaid on, she stuck one on (not a regular bandaid but a sesame street bandaid ) He's 11 sesame street? He wasn't too thrilled about that but anyway after it was on he didn't want me to take it off becasue he was afraid it would hurt. We soaked it in the tub, starting peeling it off, he screamed, said leave it on. Finally after he was sleeping , I started pulling it off and he started screaming, I was pinching him...didn't know a single sesame street bandaid would cause all this anxiety...he will be getting another shot next year at his 12 year visit...hopefully I will remember to tell the nurse NO BANDAIDS!

L0veMy2B0ys
by on May. 12, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Both of my boys think every boo boo needs a bandaid. I started the no blood no bandaid rule too! I never buy character bandaids anymore either because they treat them like stickers lol.

Quoting wildchild.com: Yes make sure you have bandaids with you at all times Lol. My son went through this so I started the no blood no bandaid rule & that actually decreased the request for bandaids.

lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Every kid I know went through the bandaid phase. My middle child would point out fake boo boos. Ugh the cat and dog needed bandaids. I buy them cheap bandaids. One box a week and they're not allowed to use the first aid kit bandages unless mom and dad get it for you.
wildchild.com
by Janine on May. 13, 2014 at 5:57 AM
Too funny I did the same thingI stopped buying the ones with the.characters too.

Quoting L0veMy2B0ys:

Both of my boys think every boo boo needs a bandaid. I started the no blood no bandaid rule too! I never buy character bandaids anymore either because they treat them like stickers lol.

Stephw1110
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2014 at 6:16 AM

Ben is in this stage too but thanks to Peppa Pig he calls the plasticasts.  We follow the no blood no band-aid rule too.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN