Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Separation Anxiety! Any Advice?

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 9:48 AM
  • 20 Replies

My youngest has severe autism and he has spd too. He's 4 yrs old. He's also non verbal, no words at all. He still has extremely bad separation anxiety. I can't even leave a room without him following me and forget it if I leave the house. It's a full blown meltdown until I get home. He doesn't do it to anyone else, just me. He's also a huge mama boy and literally wants me 10000% of the time. Any suggestions to ease his separation anxiety. We've tried telling him beforehand I'm leaving, we've tried doing pecs with him- telling a story of me leaving, we've tried letting him have a picture of me when I'm gone. Any other suggestions? Thank you.

by on May. 14, 2014 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sapphirelibra
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Is there something of yours you could leave him with? A blanket, pillow, maybe an article of clothing. Then spray your perfume or rub your lotion on it so it smells like you. It probably won't work, but worth a try.

I can only imagine how hard this must be for you!
wildchild.com
by Janine on May. 14, 2014 at 10:03 AM
That's a tough one. My son was the same way at 4 & what helped was going to preschool this gave us separation time. The first 2 weeks he cried & slowly he learned to love preschool & couldn't wait to get rid of me Lol
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 14, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I don't wear perfume or lotions but I see where your getting. 

Quoting sapphirelibra: Is there something of yours you could leave him with? A blanket, pillow, maybe an article of clothing. Then spray your perfume or rub your lotion on it so it smells like you. It probably won't work, but worth a try. I can only imagine how hard this must be for you!

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 14, 2014 at 10:06 AM

He does goes to preschool, since last year. 

Quoting wildchild.com: That's a tough one. My son was the same way at 4 & what helped was going to preschool this gave us separation time. The first 2 weeks he cried & slowly he learned to love preschool & couldn't wait to get rid of me Lol

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 14, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Bump

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Bump

wildchild.com
by Janine on May. 14, 2014 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm not sure but here's a bump for you.

Quoting Rosebud27aj:

He does goes to preschool, since last year. 

Quoting wildchild.com: That's a tough one. My son was the same way at 4 & what helped was going to preschool this gave us separation time. The first 2 weeks he cried & slowly he learned to love preschool & couldn't wait to get rid of me Lol

momtwothree83
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 7:40 PM
My son is three also with SPD and severe separation anxiety. Even when I leave him with my husband he freaks out. But his speech therapist suggested me leaving during his session so that he'd get more out of it. It's been a couple of weeks and he's actually getting used to it. At first he would get so upset he'd shake and scream and cry, but he's making progress. Maybe you could try separating from him in short intervals, 15 minutes here and there and gradually increase the time apart?
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 14, 2014 at 8:08 PM

When I bring him to therapy, he's fine with leaving me. His therapy is an hour, 4 times a week. He also goes to preschool, 2.5 hrs a day for 5 days a week. He does good. He's fine with leaving me to go do these things. But me leave him, that's where the problem is. 

Quoting momtwothree83: My son is three also with SPD and severe separation anxiety. Even when I leave him with my husband he freaks out. But his speech therapist suggested me leaving during his session so that he'd get more out of it. It's been a couple of weeks and he's actually getting used to it. At first he would get so upset he'd shake and scream and cry, but he's making progress. Maybe you could try separating from him in short intervals, 15 minutes here and there and gradually increase the time apart?

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 14, 2014 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not surey oldest was the opposite and would go anywhere with anyone....we had to worry about that lol.... But I know some ladies on here will have good advice. Hugs! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)