Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Great eye contact but...

Posted by on May. 24, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Jen
  • 17 Replies
2 moms liked this
Liam does make eye contact. Just not regularly. It was one of his goals at school this year.

Today he wanted my attention and said "mom!" I turned from what I was doing and I looked right at him. I didn't say anything as it was obvious that I was directing my attention to him. (I mean obvious to *me*)

We had good solid eye contact. But he kept saying "MOM" over and over again, getting louder and louder each time, he was clearly upset because I hadn't asked him "what?"

I noticed right away (and that's the reason I just kept quiet for awhile; to see what he would do). So he either wasn't processing that I was ready to hear what he was going to say or didn't understand that social cue of eye contact. That really surprised me.

Anyone else have this happen, he's almost four.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 24, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2014 at 4:50 AM

That's a great question.  I always verbally answer my son having been trained by his ST to verbally respond to encourage his speaking.  My son's eye contact has improved ( still not great or consistent) but I have never used making eye contact to communicate that I heard him.  I am going to try today and I'll let you know what happens.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 24, 2014 at 8:19 AM
Interesting...Brady just grabs my hand when he wants my attention. He will look at me but not say anything. Our kids are all so different and it's so neat to me:)
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 24, 2014 at 8:19 AM
Interesting...Brady just grabs my hand when he wants my attention. He will look at me but not say anything. Our kids are all so different and it's so neat to me:)
Nickmom1118
by Nicole on May. 24, 2014 at 8:46 AM
If I don't look at Nicolas he gets upset. He will take my head and move it so I'm looking at him. But he won't look at me. He is getting better though. He will for a second now.
Macphee
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2014 at 9:25 AM
Ds did this for awhile too. But he picked up on it. Now he's flipped it on me. He'll give you eye contact as a cue that he's listening. If you take too long to talk, he wanders off and loses interest.
johnns
by Johnna on May. 24, 2014 at 9:27 AM
I think it all goes back to appropriate communication. Sally has a problem with What, Who, Why questions. If I were to look at her and say "What"? she probably wouldn't answer properly. She's 5 and eye contact has never been an issue. They are working on all that in school- one her IEP goals.
Jenn8604
by on May. 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Next time try asking what.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Logansmom1999
by Kristina on May. 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Logan is the same way with eye contact. He doesn't get that cue either. He doesn't say much but he very much understands when you speak to him in simple sentences. If he wants our attention, he sticks his face three inches in front of our face - but then waits for the verbal cue that we are listening to him. Then he tries so hard to verbally communicate but just can't put it all together. This is a new skill that he picked up. He used to be oblivious to everyone around him. I guess I have to look at this as progress? He struggles so hard sometimes that I have to look for these little gifts. I'll take whatever he is willing and able to give.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM
Well, I expect someone to say "yes?"

My son will repeat himself over and over "mom, mom mom" until I acknowledge him. If I don't for too long, sometimes he'll lash out.

Waiting is **extremely** hard for him
MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM
My son is like that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN