Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Update on my son, and Yes he did check me and put me to shame!

Posted by on May. 25, 2014 at 8:11 AM
  • 1 Replies

Ok, my ten year old is officially taller than me, and that does not even include the 4-6 inches of bowing in his legs, the sweating and exhaustion I knew were due to his growth spurts.  He has been sleeping alot, all signs of growth spurts.  They are expecting his big one anytime now.  We return to the surgeon in August to see how much he has grown and either implant the pins and plate deeper in his legs to slow down his growth, leave things as they are for now or break his legs straighten them because he has had the major growth spurt and they expect things not to be so drastic the rest of the time.  Saturday after he took his early morning nap of sweating and fever he woke up ready to help and play.  I was cooking and he loves to help, we have been working on safety and helping me int he kitchen and he loves it.  He wants to cut up everything I need he, made a chocolate cake, and some baked chicken, and cut up all the items for the salad and helped mix and cook the salmon Crockett.  Now I have to go back and say that on his bus, he has a little girl that is non verbal and she only makes these loud noises especially when happy.  He just love my son, and get excited when she sees him on the bus.  Her mom hunts me down every time my son is out, because her daughter has an episode when she doesn't get to see him now.  One thing that i cant avoid is that he mimics folks the good and the bad, and when happy he has started to make her noise.  I was doing so well with him then all of a sudden he started making the noise and I went off and said "Why are you being stupid about this, why are you making that stupid noise, you know better"  YOu are making fun of your friend by doing that!  Anyway I kicked him out the kitchen and later went back to the family room where he was.  He had been crying.  I walked away from him and sat in the chair!  He yells out "I need to talk"  I said I am not talking to you because you just did something rude!  He got up sat next to me, and said, I'm not stupid!  I looked at him and realize he heard what I said and took it to heart!  My heart fell, and I said "Baby, I know your not stupid your very smart we know that!"  What I mean is why you make fun of someone it hurts, like when someone avoids or stares at you correct?  so to mimic someone when they cant help doing something its wrong and stupid and your not stupid so I dont expect you to do that!  He looked at me and said "OK I sorry"  I said are we good?  He said yes!  I got up to check on the stuff in the kitchen, and when I went to go remove something out of the stove, I heard"  Be careful ok?  "I love you mama"  I turned and said oh thank you babe, I will, he just smiled and said your welcome, I will help!  It was a good day all, I learned he is effected by what I say and he know a lot more than I give him credit for.  I guess because we were at a stage so long ago I felt helpless and didnt know what I would expect from him, with all the therapies late night Web cast instructions we have come so far!  He school wanted me to sit down and talk to them on how I work with him but I have avoided doing it because I am no expert,  am just his mommy, I know his heart and I know him because I was there when nobody else heard him!

by on May. 25, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
amonkeymom
by Amy on May. 26, 2014 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)