Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Welcome to Autism-Support Across the Spectrum! Introduce yourself here!

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2014 at 12:17 PM
  • 203 Replies
2 moms liked this

wave  Welcome to Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Whether it's you, or your child, on the spectrum, this is a great place to talk about living and loving with Autism.

Please reply to this post & introduce yourself!

Here are some questions to get you started (feel free to cut & paste below to answer):

1. What's on your mind today?
  2. Who in your life is on the autism spectrum?

After you've replied here, say hello to the other moms who've replied!
"Quote" their replies so they know you're talking to them. You can "Like" their replies as well.

jigsaw ribbon  Amy

PS - Here are some helpful links: 

by on Jun. 1, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:05 AM
8 moms liked this

My daughter was recently diagnosed as of March of this year, so I am still fairly new on our autism journey.  She has some speech delay regarding back and forth conversations and social skills.  She also displays some sensory issues specifically regarding loud sounds and emptional outbursts of others.  She is high functioning for the most part though and is very loving.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 4, 2014 at 6:28 AM

Thanks for sharing and welcome:)

Quoting MixedCooke:

My daughter was recently diagnosed as of March of this year, so I am still fairly new on our autism journey.  She has some speech delay regarding back and forth conversations and social skills.  She also displays some sensory issues specifically regarding loud sounds and emptional outbursts of others.  She is high functioning for the most part though and is very loving.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jun. 4, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Hi!  Is your daughter receiving therapy for the sensory issues she's experiencing?

Quoting MixedCooke:

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
She'll be starting an ASD geared pre-school in the Fall. We just have been working with her at home and letting her know what the sounds are, removing her from the situation, going to more subdued environments such as when less crowds are expected and working on getting her used to noise canceling headphones.

Quoting amonkeymom:

Hi!  Is your daughter receiving therapy for the sensory issues she's experiencing?

Quoting MixedCooke:

Jenny227
by New Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM
3 moms liked this

My son was diagnosed through preschool as high functioning autistic. We are hoping to get a medical diagnoses next month.  I also have a nine year old and BGG triplets who will be three next month.  I'm hoping to learn even more about ASD and how to help my son.  Thanks

okpondlady
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 12:48 AM
4 moms liked this

My name is Karen,.  I live in Oklahoma.  I got married the first time when I was 23,  #1 DD at 26 (she is 21 now and at a University), #2 DD at 30 (she is 17 now and a Senior in High School...).  Got divorced, five years later I remarried a wonderful man who is a great step father, supporter, all that good stuff.   Fast forward to 2011.  My DH's niece had these children and was having problems with her DH.  Oldest DS was 4 and we kept him for about 6 months.  She was married to a man who wanted HIS child but not the older DS.  So.. he stayed with us quite a bit.  THEN she left him (finally) when she saw how damaging his PTSD was getting.  So even though she lived with her grandma she had two little kids to deal with.  Yes, I know it ain't that hard.  She was going to school to get her GED and was having problems with the daycare for the little one.  #2 DS was 3 at the time.   I didn't know this child nearly as well as I did #1 DS.  After the daycare left him OUTSIDE the second time I told her to just bring him to me, I wasn't working, I would keep him in the daytime.  Obviously her daycare situation wasn't working. 

The DS had just turned 3.  He couldn't hold his own sippy cup.  He couldn't feed himself.. even finger foods.  He didn't participate in dressing AT ALL (think lay down on the bed and dress him like an infant).  He had maybe 10 words he spoke.  He stemmed constantly.  He hollered, screamed, grunted for communication.  I told her he needed to be evaluated NOW.. there was a problem.  Her response was, "I don't have time to do that, you get him evaluated and do whatever he needs."  she never saw there was an issue until I insisted on him getting evaluated So, I basically ended up with a 3 year old after my kids were almost grown.  So Alex is 4 1/2 now, he has PDD-NOS and is on the Autism spectrum.  Developmentally he is about 2 1/2.   He is such a sweet kid and we are thrilled to have him in our lives and home.  Having said that, he has made many changes in my life.   With my girls growing up I was definitely a spanker.  I honestly believe most issues can be cured by a good busting.  BUT NOW...  I know better.  Spanking Alex is like spanking a puppy who has NO CLUE what he did wrong.  It is pointless.  Potty training is KILLING ME.  He just isn't ready at 4 1/2.  Developmentally I don't know when he is going to be ready.  At his current development level maybe a year?  OMG.   Just saying that about kills me.  He can't go to school a full day until he is potty trained.  I can't take him to the park with out crying because I see the other little boys and I just want him to be normal.  I want so much for him.. and I don't know if he will ever be able to do it.  I have had a very difficult time adjusting my expectations to a slower pace.  My DD's are/were so bright as toddlers, they soaked up stuff like a sponge.   They were both in the G&T programs at school.  But I get to wake up to slobbery sticky fingers every day and good hugs.  I wouldn't feel so bad if I didn't just resent the hell out of his mother for not wanting him but keeping her NORMAL child.  I guess if she had flaked out on both of them I would complain about that too. 

I really didn't intend to write a book.  I didn't even realize I was thinking half of this stuff till it just came out. 

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

MomOfFish
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 1:03 AM
3 moms liked this
Hi my name is Melanie and I have 3 kids. My son Christopher is just turned 6 and was just diagnosed with ASD recently. We have been struggling to h figure out what was wrong since he was about 3. At that point they put him as sensory processing disorder, ODD, and selective mutism. When we took him to the regional center when he was 5 they put him as ADHD but honestly the counsler didn't listen to what I was saying. He currently has an IEP for kindergarten under speech because of his social speech skills being way under par. The school said they couldn't give him autism services because his issues didn't impact his school work enough... I have a feeling next year that will change. Our biggest issue is his violent responses to things. We are trying medication to help but not sure how I really feel about that. The 1st med causes ticks and stomach pains so m nervous about trying this new one. That being said I don't know how to help him when he is trying to hurt me. Anyways, I'm looking forward to having others to talk with who understand what I'm/my family is going through.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 5, 2014 at 6:24 AM

My son is high functioning too and also HATES loud noises! He even hates quieter noises like flies buzzing. It drives him nuts!!

Quoting MixedCooke:

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 5, 2014 at 6:26 AM

Welcome Melanie!

It shouldn;t matter if it doesn;t impact school work, it should matter if it impacts HIM. If his behavior needs help, they need to offer him ABA therapy, occupational therpay, etc...Look into that! If he has an autism diagnosis through school, you are able to ask for any services they provide special needs!

Quoting MomOfFish: Hi my name is Melanie and I have 3 kids. My son Christopher is just turned 6 and was just diagnosed with ASD recently. We have been struggling to h figure out what was wrong since he was about 3. At that point they put him as sensory processing disorder, ODD, and selective mutism. When we took him to the regional center when he was 5 they put him as ADHD but honestly the counsler didn't listen to what I was saying. He currently has an IEP for kindergarten under speech because of his social speech skills being way under par. The school said they couldn't give him autism services because his issues didn't impact his school work enough... I have a feeling next year that will change. Our biggest issue is his violent responses to things. We are trying medication to help but not sure how I really feel about that. The 1st med causes ticks and stomach pains so m nervous about trying this new one. That being said I don't know how to help him when he is trying to hurt me. Anyways, I'm looking forward to having others to talk with who understand what I'm/my family is going through.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 5, 2014 at 6:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Jenny227:

My son was diagnosed through preschool as high functioning autistic. We are hoping to get a medical diagnoses next month.  I also have a nine year old and BGG triplets who will be three next month.  I'm hoping to learn even more about ASD and how to help my son.  Thanks

Welcome! My 13 is high functioning too. Is your son receiving any therapy yet?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)