Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Potty Train 4yrs old

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 1:58 AM
  • 69 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi, am i the only mom out there with an almost 4 year old still in diapers.  My child has Autism and is mostly non-verbal, so saying "i have to pee-pee" is out of the question (for now).  Is anyone out there is the same boat? Or is there anyone who was is the same boat and have some suggestions to share with this parent?  Thanks:)

by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:01 AM
3 moms liked this

I take her before we leave, when she gets home and sometimes she will tell me or just go and set herself up.  I tell her the specific steps to take such as step, potty seat, pull down panties, tushy/heiny/toilet (2x),  pull up panties/pants, flush, wash hands and dry hands.  I also let her have a book or the Ipad to keep her on the potty long enough.  The repetitive motion becomes routine and easier for her to remember and becomes less of a struggle.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 4, 2014 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is almost 6 and still in diapers.  You are not alone.  Hugs and welcome!

Stephw1110
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 6:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope.  My son just turned 4 and we are still in diapers.  We are going to start trying again in a few weeks.  We tried in September but he was terrified of toilets.  He seems more interested and more at ease with toilets now.  Ben is very verbal and knows when he needs to go.  We just have to get him over that hump.  

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jun. 4, 2014 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Logan is 14 and still in pull ups. We have been working on potty training since he was 3 with little success. He will go when we take him to the potty but then goes in his pull up in between bathroom visits (every 90 minutes).

Jenniy
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

My 6yro is still in diapers, probably will be for the rest of his life, he can't tell when he needs to potty and his bladder and kidneys don't hold urine so he pees all the time.  The only suggestion I have is teach your little one signs for pee and poo and see if they can connect them to needing to use the bathroom

kimber2465
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM
2 moms liked this

i just talked to my daughter.  i would take her to the potty- and say time to potty. then if she did- i made a big deal out of it. never make a big deal about accidents.  i would take her about every 40 min. in the beginning. night time took us longer.

mamatink7
by Franceska on Jun. 4, 2014 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

using rewards and his choice of special underwear. we were in same boat 12yr ago. use potty candy (m m or skittles in container above toilet or in med cabinet). start by whenever willing to sit, then move to when he pees then move to when goes by himself and then last when he sits by himself and pees. 

start by getting potty routine (even make schedule with PECS) sit when wake up, after breakfast, before leave house, when come back home, before nap after nap (or lunch/ snack times) before play time after play time, before supper after supper, before reading and bedtime. you could even take him when u guys go to sleep-unless he deep sleeper and doesn pee during night. YES it is alot and you will think you life resolves around potty training, but it IS worth it. this way DOES and WILL work, i trained 3 kids at once. 

have couple potty books by chair/ toilet, own foaming soap (they like that kind best), take away diapers and only have pullup/easy ups (nap time bedtime). its best during summertime-less to take off-

scjohnson74
by New Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM
6 moms liked this
I have a 9 year old son with autism & when he was 4 (he was also non-verbal), I wanted to get him out of diapers so I introduced him to the toilet & let him sit on it a few times a day but nothing happened & he wanted his diaper back on. This wasn't working so I decided to sit in the bathroom with him while he drank his milk out of his sippy cup and more milk and more milk all while he was sittong on the potty with no diaper until he had to really go! This took a while but I didn't give up. He tried to reach for his diaper but I wouldn't put it on him & held him on the toilet until he tinkled in it. He was crying because he didn't want to do it but when he finally did it, I clapped and said yaaaaaaayyyyyyy! And he immediately started cracking up laughing! I gave him a dum dum sucker as his reward & put underwear on him. After that he went on the toilet every time I put him on it. He has become more verbal over the years and now even says "bathroom please" to let me know if we are in public. I really hope this helps!
Clammyfoofoo
by New Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is about to turn four and is still in diapers and nonverbal as well. Today we will start the more aggressive approach ie... Putting undies on him and putting him on the pot every 30 min. From what I'm told this is supposed to be most effective when you don't get mad about accidents, keep the setting as calm and relaxing as you can, give them something that motivates them and stick to the routine you started so don't put him on a diff toilet in the house every time and if the potty is in a certain spot you should keep it there, when he poops or pees be excited about it, and if they wake up in the morning w a dry diaper it's a good sign it's time. That's as much as I remember right now but I bought 20 pairs of undies and took the next 4 days off work to try it bc my baby is getting to big for diapers and he's going through them fast and it's breaking my wallet. Good luck to you, you are not alone. I have been potty training since my child was one
micksmom2
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

It took us a long time to get our son trained.  It helped that he had a picture schedule.  We had laminated photos of various activities and objects with velcro on the back.  Several of them were photos of toilets.  We would arrange a picture schedule, with potty breaks and other activities.    As we would get to each activity, we would have him check his schedule and then remove the photo of the activity.

Also, it helped when I ordered a toilet training book specifically for special needs from this company:

http://www.jkp.com/catalogue/

Good luck.  It took us a while but he finally got the hang of it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)