Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I'm now a mom of six!!

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Jen
  • 15 Replies
I'm feeling exhausted and a little overwhelmed right now. I have been taking care of a friends' 3 kids since Tuesday. The kids are 12, 10 and 2. The 10 yr old has Tourette's syndrome. Their mom is in the hospital and we have no idea when she will be out. It could be a day. It could be a week. Maybe a month! She also has a 6 month old who is staying with her in the hospital so she has to have constant round the clock friends there to take care of the baby - and why dad sleeps there each night and can't be home with the other three kids. It all started with a toothache that seemed to turn into an abscess. The dentist said it wasn't her teeth at all so she was referred to an ENT. They pulled pus from her jaw area that was swollen up like she had a ball in her cheek. That night it was back and worse. She had to have surgery to remove whatever it was. Two days later she was in the hospital because she not only had an infection but she was/is having extremely painful spasms like electric shocks through her face. And the pain is so intense, she vomits with each spasm. They don't even know what to do with her. I saw her yesterday and she does not appear to be doing any better. She's completely drugged up on pain meds. Her dh is spending time between work and the hospital so I get the kids full time. I'm a mom of six now. :D Oh and this family is strict vegan, gluten free. Which makes feeding them a challenge. For one, they're constantly hungry. I would be too if I only ate pieces of fruit and beans. I really need to set up a routine with them and get everything settled. These last few days have all been crazy as we all have been running around by the seat of our pants. I feel like I've driven a million miles back and forth between house to get this and that, taking the kids to the hospital and turned away because they didn't want them seeing their mom in her condition. I have to work all day today, so dh is going to hold down the fort. But when I get home I need to make a plan, a routine. I was thinking of assigning the big kids chores. Simple chores. Or is that too much??? Idk. We need a routine, Especially if they're staying awhile. Liam is handling it well so far. But the 12 yr old is quite forward with what she does (she's like a mother to the 2 yr old and I'm thankful) but I hear her tell Liam stuff like: no we aren't watching that show you just asked for because my brother doesn't like it. I don't want to hurt her feelings but I'd like her to be more of a kid and less of a mom. If that makes sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happyhealthy88
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:16 AM
This sounds rough!! I am so sorry.

I'm a gluten free vegan and I don't eat just fruit and beans. I just finished stuffing my face with vegan gluten free oatmeal raisin cookies. Please let me know if you need any good recipes. I follow lots of good blogs with yummy recipes online.
mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:20 AM
I'd love any of your easy favorites!! Please! I know they eat more than beans and fruit but that's all they've really had here. I raided their fridge and that's what I got. An avocado, a mango, bananas, apples, and a bowl of beans. The 10 yr old won't eat anything but fruit. He is super picky. I did make him peanut butter in the vitamix with their raw peanuts. He's eaten like a jar of that.
I also grabbed a recipe book from their house but just because the recipe is in a book doesn't make it good, ya know?
So please, I'd love some of your easy favorites!!

Quoting happyhealthy88: This sounds rough!! I am so sorry.

I'm a gluten free vegan and I don't eat just fruit and beans. I just finished stuffing my face with vegan gluten free oatmeal raisin cookies. Please let me know if you need any good recipes. I follow lots of good blogs with yummy recipes online.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happyhealthy88
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:29 AM
I guess the pickiness doesn't make it any easier on you. This sounds so difficult! You are an awesome friend for helping out.

Here's the recipe for the oatmeal cookies I was just eating:
http://ohsheglows.com/2010/09/11/the-ultimate-vegan-oatmeal-raisin-cookie/
I used gluten free oats and gluten free flour to convert it into gluten free. Betty Crocker sells an all purpose gluten rice flour in the baking isle which is nice. They also have some other gluten free boxed options. The gluten free oats are usually right near the regular oats.

I'm the only vegan in the house so I like to make chili! That way I can take half of the vegan chili out of the pot and add meat to the other half for the other family members. Here's my favorite recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/02/05/my-favourite-vegan-chili-with-homemade-sour-cream/ I don't make the vegan sour cream, I just leave that out, but for the rest of your family you can just add regular sour cream.

Veggies and tortilla chips with hummus are one of my sons favorites. He's not vegan but he's gluten and dairy free.

Both kids also love a basic guacamole with their tortilla chips, avocado, salt, garlic powder and a squeeze of lime and mashed together.

Since they like fruit I like doing a fruit salad and then adding a tablespoon of pure maple syrup and 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut and mixing it together. It makes the fruit salad sooooo good!

You can do gluten free pasta and sauce, that's an easy one and the rest of the family that eats meat can eat it with sausage or meatballs or whatever you like to add.

Pillsbury now has gluten free pizza crust and pie crust in the refrigerated section. I wouldn't call it healthy, but the pie crust is vegan (I think the pizza one has egg, just double check) I will press the pie crust into muffin tins and fill it with veggies and for me and the kids , vegan cheese and for dad, regular cheese. And I add grilled chicken to theirs since they eat meat. It's really a fun easy meal and an easy way to meet the needs of everyone's diet in their own personal pie crust cup.

We also buy bobs red mill 13 bean soup mix and use veggie stock snd I add whatever vegetables I have on hand. I take a portion for myself out and then I'll add some meat for the other people in the family, but it's gluten free and vegan (until you add meat lol) if you use veggie stock.

I have to run and take my daughter to her little gym class, I will think of more easy stuff for you and add to this.

Quoting mypbandj: I'd love any of your easy favorites!! Please! I know they eat more than beans and fruit but that's all they've really had here. I raided their fridge and that's what I got. An avocado, a mango, bananas, apples, and a bowl of beans. The 10 yr old won't eat anything but fruit. He is super picky. I did make him peanut butter in the vitamix with their raw peanuts. He's eaten like a jar of that.
I also grabbed a recipe book from their house but just because the recipe is in a book doesn't make it good, ya know?
So please, I'd love some of your easy favorites!!

Quoting happyhealthy88: This sounds rough!! I am so sorry.

Jenibob
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Wow!  You are remarkable!  I think a routine of some sort, is a good idea.  Nothing wrong with kids helping pick up, put things away, small stuff.  It will give them a sense of purpose and ownership in their temp. residence. Plus we all know how routine is great for everyone.  Glad to hear Liam is hanging in their with this.  Our kids are resilient. I hope the hospital figures out what's going on with their mom soon.   

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jun. 6, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Kudos to you for stepping in and helping out. It is hard enough to take in three extra kids - but then to stick to their diet is commendable. I am glad your son is coping with the changes. Good luck and I hope their Mom is on the mend soon. 

jowen905
by Jan on Jun. 6, 2014 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

You're an awesome friend.  Best of luck and I hope your friend gets better soon!

gardensparrow
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Wow, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now! But that's so kind of you to step up and help this family when they're going through so much. So, my prayers will definitely be with you as you try to handle having all this extra responsibility. Also, I just wondered, is there any possibility of getting some help from other friends or family? Maybe someone to come in a watch them or help you out at certain times of the day? Or, if this could be long-term, maybe look into some day-camps they might be able to get involved in so you don't have to be on hand 24/7? Just a thought!

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my, you have your hands full!,  I hope she gets better fast!

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jun. 6, 2014 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Yikes I'm exhausted just reading this. Your a good friend. I hope shes better soon. (((Hugs)))
mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 6, 2014 at 11:14 PM
They have daycare for the 2 yr old so I can (and have) taken him there. Like today, I had to work and couldn't take kids with me. Dh was home for my son and could have kept him but they would have been stuck at home as his car is too small for so many kids. So off to daycare the 2 yr old went. I kinda felt guilty but I think the consistency is good for him.

Last week the big kids had a play date. I may try to set a few of those up next week if they're still here.

Liam is starting to get upset about having to share everything - even stuff he usually doesn't even use - now he wants it. Or it's more like he doesn't want THEM to have it.

Quoting gardensparrow:

Wow, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now! But that's so kind of you to step up and help this family when they're going through so much. So, my prayers will definitely be with you as you try to handle having all this extra responsibility. Also, I just wondered, is there any possibility of getting some help from other friends or family? Maybe someone to come in a watch them or help you out at certain times of the day? Or, if this could be long-term, maybe look into some day-camps they might be able to get involved in so you don't have to be on hand 24/7? Just a thought!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)