Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Why is my autistic daughter so attached to me

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:08 AM
  • 45 Replies
It has been since she was born. After diagnosis it became worse. If I shower or change clothes. It's Where ya going.. Over and over. I'm a stay at home mom so I'm always here. I just took a weekend vacation with some friends. My husband said all was perfect when I was gone. No meltdown or repetitive asking for me. So why is it when I get home the behavior starts. I know this is probably long winded of me..
by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:12 AM
Welcome and big hugs mama!!!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this
My son has never been like that to be honest.
ZsMommy
by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Because you're her comfort zone. Especially if she's younger. Eventually it will ease up and as she ages and her autistic mind ages she will separate herself easier from you,but for now she's clingy because you're a "constant". The world is hard enough for kids on the spectrum to understand,but the comfort and love of mom is a safe place.

Jenniy
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:15 AM

My 9yro is still clingy and wants to sleep in my bed on weekends and breaks.  He said he's not going away to college because he has to be close to me.  It's sweet most of the time, but when he tries to follow me to the bathroom because he wants to talk it gets annoying. lol

ZsMommy
by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:16 AM

Girls on the spectrum and boys on the spectrum can actually be quite different. With autism-gender roles often do actually come into play.

Boys are socially distant to begin with (in general)-now throw in a factor that makes them more socially distant.

Girls on the other hand (in general) are usually more social. They also seek more attention.

Quoting darbyakeep45: My son has never been like that to be honest.

Girls on the spectrum often can be quite different than boys on the spectrum and how it affects them neurologically/socially.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:18 AM
My son is actually extremely social. He's not socially distant at all. He just doesn't cling to me.

Quoting ZsMommy:

Girls on the spectrum and boys on the spectrum can actually be quite different. With autism-gender roles often do actually come into play.

Boys are socially distant to begin with (in general)-now throw in a factor that makes them more socially distant.

Girls on the other hand (in general) are usually more social. They also seek more attention.

Girls on the spectrum often can be quite different than boys on the spectrum and how it affects them neurologically/socially.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is similar.  If I get dressed he is concerned I am leaving, and when I'm home he's always checking on me or wants to hang near by.  I think I'm just his comfort item.  I understand him the best and how to help him best, and if think he just knows that.  He will melt when I'm leaving but then does do fine with dad.  Dad doesn't quite understand how to read all his quirks and needs as I do though, so they can go through hard spirits he doesn't with me.  You're her mom, she should be somewhat attached.  Welcome to the group!!

ls1972
by New Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:54 AM
Her patience level is 0. Anyone have advice on how to deal. If I'm cooking or we need to go somewhere I don't tell her till its time to leave. Can't seem to process the not right now or you need to wait. Throws her into a meltdown.
Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:00 AM

As long as I tell Logan where I am going and when I'll be back...he is usually fine with me going on short errands.

Now, If I am later than the time that I told him I would be back, all hell breaks out in this house!

Same thing happens if I arrive early! - utterly chaos!

Do we ever truly get a break? or are we setting the scene for meltdowns? How are we supposed to balance this out? There are many times that I need to go do mundane errends just for my sanity's sake

ZsMommy
by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Just made "general" reference.

I was just pointing out that when it comes to ASD and gender often there is a separation of gender social types.

That's great he's social and not clingy.

Quoting darbyakeep45: My son is actually extremely social. He's not socially distant at all. He just doesn't cling to me.
Quoting ZsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)