Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How much does autism cost?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Amy
  • 19 Replies

Costs of Autism Add Up

The cost of supporting people with autism spectrum disorders throughout their lives could be as high as $2.4 million per person, according to a new estimate.

What do you think about this finding?

by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Sounds right for the cost. But not all of us need it. I know many who do it on their own.
Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 12:16 PM

I think like everything - there is no one answer to this.  Some will need more support and help throughout their lives and some will need less so the cost will be higher for some and lower for others. 

Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on Jun. 11, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I agree with this

Quoting Gloria1025:

I think like everything - there is no one answer to this.  Some will need more support and help throughout their lives and some will need less so the cost will be higher for some and lower for others. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:11 PM
It definitely varies according to the person and the family support but I know of severe cases costing a small fortune.

There are two autism schools about 40 minutes and another an hour from me and they cost anywhere from $98,000 to 115,000 per year!
mamatink7
by Franceska on Jun. 11, 2014 at 7:14 PM

wow how can we get any sort of help for everything? 16yr with autism getting more and more exp grrr. he went to a school for 4 months yrs ago and that school costed 45,000$ per yr and it was going up! they didnt even have real teachers as it was strictly ABA based teaching

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Well said...I agree:)

Quoting Gloria1025:

happyhealthy88
by on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:47 PM
We spent about $15,000 last year, out of pocket, not including thr cost of gluten and casein free diet. This year will be cheaper as we are not doing ABA or EI anymore, but we are still doing speech, a million doctors appts, biomed doctor which insurance doesn't cover and special diet.

It's write off, yes, but that doesn't give us our money back :(
Stephw1110
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I thought it was a little high but then I figured out what it has cost Ben so far this year in our center.  Ben does 17-20 hours of ABA, weekly speech and OT.  This is just for our one center since January 1 though the end of May.  $62,000+ so far.  Plus if you think the added gas to and from the center daily and the fact that I am not working to provide care.  We also do feeding therapy every other week a hour and half away.  One feeding therapy visit is almost $800 a session.  So yes I could see a lifetime amount that high.  

jennymoon4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:19 PM
My daughter is moving right along on this path. If I consider the additional childcare costs I have because she needs cared for at home rather than a center, the extra medical appointments, her medications & supplements, her out of pocket therapies...well, let's just say we would be very comfortable without that. Then, there's what insurance does cover for her & what the school district & county have covered for her. It adds up rapidly & while it may go down for a few years as she ages, if she doesn't get to the point of being able to live independently, the cost will increase once again.
JennaPBug
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe it, especially for the ones that need adult care. We're lucky for only shelling out 7-8K a year and thats mainly his special diet and supplements

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN