Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Lyme =Autism?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:26 PM
  • 12 Replies

My son just turned 4 and was recently diagnosed with Lyme disease. We started started Antibiotic treatment two months ago and have already seen huge gains...

What I've seen in the past two months:

He now looks at us

HAs finally said "MAMA" and trying to make new noises.....

Trying to potty train, no longer uses diaper to sleep , he rips it off

Solid Poop-HE had diarrhea for the first THREE years of his life

Anyone else have any Lyme stories that they can share? I have seen a huge population of parents with Lyme+Autism Related stories.

by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happyhealthy88
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM

When I used to have FB i was in a biomedical group for treating autism and other developmental problems and it seemed like SO many people were treating lymes.

How did they test him for lymes? We are in NJ and live in the woods, I worry about it all the time.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Sam had lyme at 4, just before he turned 5. He had second stage lyme (bells palsy) I dont know how long he had lyme before he was treated as he had no bullseye... he did complain about join pain and being tired, but I have a child who is lethargic and physcially delayed.. so I thought it was the lethargy and growing pains... ya'know, until his face was paralyzed... NOT my greatest parenting moment... :(
I have not seen differences in his behavior before and after... he did 30 days of antibiotic and sterriod for the palsy... He was HFA before and HFA after.

andreiaazoia
by New Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 4:14 PM

We went to an immunologist in Connecticut and he tested my son twice and the second time the bloodwork went to Igenix in California and that's where he tested double positive for Lyme and two co-infections....I also have Lyme and it seems like I passed it on to him during pregnancy.We start IVIG treatments in a few months.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 12, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I'm sorry, I have no experience with Lyme disease. Hugs!

lucasmadre
by Kari on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I had lymes before I had my son, I have never had him tested but will during his next physical which is soon. I was really sick...I would feel terrible if he had it and I hadn't thought to test him. Thanks for the info-

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 13, 2014 at 6:03 AM

Hugs mama... no experience but good luck!

Gloria1025
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 6:30 AM

My son had Lyme disease and his ASD traits were more pronounced while he was sick/before he was treated but it as more a matter of everything is harder when you are not feeling well sort of thing.  His ASD was there before he got Lyme and still there after he was treated.

LIMom1105
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I've never heard of Lyme Disease being connected with autism, but there is another viral condition called PANDAS (connected with the Strep virus usually) that can cause autism-like symptoms.  So I could see it's possible the Lyme disease caused his delays but I haven't heard of this before.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:05 PM

i thought ds got lyme. it looked like a bulls eye. but it went away and we thought the probability was low.

I didn't give him the antibiotics. Now i'm worried...

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:31 AM

I have been treated for Lymes 4 times now! My oldest also has Lymes but my youngest (the autistic one) has not.

I'm interested to hear about other's experiences on this one!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN