Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Any ideas?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:07 PM
  • 7 Replies
Nicolas is doing great with his new glasses! BUT, when he gets mad or upset he usually will put his hands over his face. I have noticed that with his glasses he feels like he can't do that. So, today he has started to hurt his cousin that lives here. Or he will take the glasses and throw them. I don't want him hurting anyone because he feels like he can't do the action he is used to. I would rather for him not to throw the glasses too. When he has calmed today, I have just calmly asked him to put his glasses back on. And he does with no issues.
by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Can you proactvily tal to him when he is not angry at what he can do when he is mad... And what you'd like him to try not to do... I know when youre mad you just want to throw something,,, i noticed today you threw your glasses... Those glasses were expensive, and youre eyes need them... So lets try not to throw them because they could break.. And that wouldnt be good for your eyes... What do you think you might WANt to throw? a Pillow? a stuffed animal? By giving him something appropriate to throw and an appropriate release for his frustration, he most likely will remember in the heat of the moment, to NOT throw his glasses... IF he needs to take them off to cover his face, let him jnow he can do that too... (Have him have a safeplace to put the glasses) hemay have so e good ideas forwhat may help him express his frustration /anger too... So listen if he does. :) 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 12, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Poor guy, that's got to be hard getting used to something new like that. I like SamMoms advice..she always gives the best ideas ;)

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:26 PM
I felt so bad for him today. He started to get frustrated and would put his hands on his face and realize his glasses was in the way. He would usually cover his eyes with his hands. I didn't know what to do to help. :(

Quoting Charizma77:

Poor guy, that's got to be hard getting used to something new like that. I like SamMoms advice..she always gives the best ideas ;)

Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:32 PM

that breaks my heart :(

Quoting Nickmom1118: I felt so bad for him today. He started to get frustrated and would put his hands on his face and realize his glasses was in the way. He would usually cover his eyes with his hands. I didn't know what to do to help. :(
Quoting Charizma77:

Nickmom1118
by Nicole on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Thx. I am going to talk to him. I think the throwing of a stuffed animal might work. And making sure he knows that he can take the glasses off if he's mad.

Quoting SamMom912:

Can you proactvily tal to him when he is not angry at what he can do when he is mad... And what you'd like him to try not to do... I know when youre mad you just want to throw something,,, i noticed today you threw your glasses... Those glasses were expensive, and youre eyes need them... So lets try not to throw them because they could break.. And that wouldnt be good for your eyes... What do you think you might WANt to throw? a Pillow? a stuffed animal? By giving him something appropriate to throw and an appropriate release for his frustration, he most likely will remember in the heat of the moment, to NOT throw his glasses... IF he needs to take them off to cover his face, let him jnow he can do that too... (Have him have a safeplace to put the glasses) hemay have so e good ideas forwhat may help him express his frustration /anger too... So listen if he does. :) 

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jun. 13, 2014 at 3:44 AM

When Logan is winding up, we have to take his glasses off for him. He doesn't have the cognitive ability to know when it is time to take them off. He also throws his glasses when mad. He broke 2 pair in the same week at school because they didn't help him take them off.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 13, 2014 at 5:49 AM

Poor little guy...hugs mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN