Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Had to take leave of absence from work need advice

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM
  • 24 Replies

Hi ladies

Some of you know from my last post I coudnt find suitable childcare for  my DS. Well yesterday turned out to be my last day at work. A decision had to be made because of the position I have at work and having to answer to the corperation that owns us. Along with what was best right now for DS.I am on leave of absence  under the family leave act.My job was my only source of income. I do have some vacation  time. My son was only just dx with Pdd-Nos in March at the age of 10 y/o prior to that his dx included Mood D.O, ADHD Hx of PTSD. In my county prior to the new dx because I had private insurance they told me he would not  qualify for any help.I need advice on what to do to now Some tips on how to go about seeing if we qualify for services. I have called everyday to the MHMR intake person but only get her voice mail trying to set up an appointment.Any advice what to do. What info to take so not to delay the slow process as it is. I figured I would  go ahead and try to apply for SSI also. This is really hard on me I have never been without a job since I was 16. I have never needed any help from any agency and never expected to have to do this. I am really at a loss and trying to be strong in front of my DS. but this situation has shaken me to my very core even with my faith in God.The last 2 years of our  life have been Hell

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
terri-553
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

hugging

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jun. 14, 2014 at 9:08 AM
2 moms liked this

What state do you live in? You need to look up state-wide programs as well as county programs. And if you can't ever get someone to answer at the mhmr, call a different number for them. There should be several listed. I'm not sure what to tell you you'll need to get process going there because my county's mhmr only provides one service for autism. Their main focus is intellectual disabilities. But they also work with mental health so I'm surprised they didn't help you any with your son's mood disorder. But for us, they couldn't help.

Hugs mama. You'll find your way. And you will come out of this a stronger woman than you ever thought possible of yourself.

net23mom
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I live in Texas. I do have another contact number for MHMR afriend of a friend gave for a man that works there. He was the one who gave me the direct number for the intake person and said to call him back.i figured since I didnt hear back from her yesterday I will call him again on monday and see  what he says.I Know andIf I had been in a differant county I guess I would have qualified for help with his mood disorder but the county I live in does not  provide service for mental health if you have private insurance I was told by MHMR

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

What state do you live in? You need to look up state-wide programs as well as county programs. And if you can't ever get someone to answer at the mhmr, call a different number for them. There should be several listed. I'm not sure what to tell you you'll need to get process going there because my county's mhmr only provides one service for autism. Their main focus is intellectual disabilities. But they also work with mental health so I'm surprised they didn't help you any with your son's mood disorder. But for us, they couldn't help.

Hugs mama. You'll find your way. And you will come out of this a stronger woman than you ever thought possible of yourself.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Can you move to a different county?

Quoting net23mom:

I live in Texas. I do have another contact number for MHMR afriend of a friend gave for a man that works there. He was the one who gave me the direct number for the intake person and said to call him back.i figured since I didnt hear back from her yesterday I will call him again on monday and see  what he says.I Know andIf I had been in a differant county I guess I would have qualified for help with his mood disorder but the county I live in does not  provide service for mental health if you have private insurance I was told by MHMR

Quoting ineedcoffeemom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
net23mom
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I dont know at this point.  I own my house and now being on leave with no secure income I coould no way afford to pay the payment on my house and rent some where else.

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:55 AM

We have private insurance as well. But we also qualify for TEFFRA Medicaid to cover the expenses that our private insurance does not. Under TRFFRA, they calculate your fee according to your income. We have a pretty hefty copay but it is still cost effective for our medical expenses.

My dd is now 18 and her SSI is pending as she has no other source of income. Due to her disability, she is not able to hold a job. My ds is 14 so we have to count our income for SSI and he does not qualify due to income. We will reapply for SSI once he is 18.

With no source of income right now, you should qualify for AFDC and Food Stamps through the county you live in. One of the best things you can do is request a case manager through your county to help you navigate the process. Counties also have different grant programs that you may also qualify for.

Keep your chin up. You will figure it out. {{{HUGZ Mama}}}.

net23mom
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:05 PM

What state do you live in. . these programs dont sound  familiar to me. except for food stamps

Quoting Logansmom1999:

We have private insurance as well. But we also qualify for TEFFRA Medicaid to cover the expenses that our private insurance does not. Under TRFFRA, they calculate your fee according to your income. We have a pretty hefty copay but it is still cost effective for our medical expenses.

My dd is now 18 and her SSI is pending as she has no other source of income. Due to her disability, she is not able to hold a job. My ds is 14 so we have to count our income for SSI and he does not qualify due to income. We will reapply for SSI once he is 18.

With no source of income right now, you should qualify for AFDC and Food Stamps through the county you live in. One of the best things you can do is request a case manager through your county to help you navigate the process. Counties also have different grant programs that you may also qualify for.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Texas does have the medicaid ..... Its called the medicaid buy in program. They cover services that your insurance won't cover. Its well worth it .... Wish I could get it but we make just over the income limit.

I live in Texas. You need to get your son on the class and hcs waiver waiting lists. They're a long wait, so they can't help you financially right now but once you get the waiver it provides a ton of services. Its through DADS ,,, department of aging and disability services.

The service coordinator is the only service that is offered for autism thru mhmr in my county but they can help you find the services you need. They'll probably help get your son on the waiting lists I mentioned even.
Quoting net23mom:

What state do you live in. . these programs dont sound  familiar to me. except for food stamps

Quoting Logansmom1999:

Logansmom1999
by Kristina on Jun. 14, 2014 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

We live in MN but those programs are nation wide. AFDC is also known as cash assistance. For TEFFRA, it might be called something different in your state. It is a state program to provide supplimental medical coverage for children with special needs. All I did was call our county's family services office and ask about supplimental medicaid. We make too much money to qualify for other types of assistance. We have to pay for TEFFRA according to our income. For us, it is a large chunk of change but dh has a good paying job - thank GOD! Like I said before - it is cost effective to pay for the medicaid. If you have no other income, your copay will reflect that. I have friends that pay $25 per year for their TEFFRA. You may qualify for straight medicaid with no job. It seems like a daunting task to fill out all the paperwork but it is soooooo worth it in the end. You can do this!

Quoting net23mom:

Quoting Logansmom1999:

net23mom
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Thanks everyone

I been trying to look up who to contact online so monday I can start calling and get appointments set-up. From what I read on the medicais /Chips site for children because we have insurance now  If you had any insurance in the last 90 days you have to wait 90 days before he be elible but M<onday I going to keep trying to get in contact with the right people.I just dont know what we will live on after my vacation time runs out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)