Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Giving Therapists Notice?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 8:43 PM
  • 13 Replies

Strange question...how much notice do you need to give a therapist that you are discontinuing with?  It appears ABA is full speed ahead and will start in mid July.  It will be 3 hours a day per child plus an extra hour of basic living/community living skills/social skills.  So that is 4 hours each day for two of my kids (back to back, not at same time), plus all three kids have speech, OT, PT, cranial sacral therapy, and one feeding therapy throughout the rest of the week. I honestly can not fit it all in, so need to start making some choices, and my son's current OT/speech is a 3 hour round trip because of it's location, so I know that one needs to go and move him back to the therapy clinic 2 minutes from home.  I'm just wondering how much notice I should give the therapists I'm going to discontinue with.  Obviously I need some changed by mid July when ABA will begin in home, but do I really need to give a whole month?  I'm worried they'll slack off or treat us weird/lazy since we are leaving (and be kind of mad), but I also don't want to be rude as I know their time is important and they can fill with new clients.  Any suggestions?

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lady-J-Rock
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd say a month is good because they can talk to the next family and get it organized.
Charizma77
by Carissa on Jun. 14, 2014 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

At least 2 weeks..

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this

At least a couple of weeks...or just mention it as soon as possible if you can.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:05 AM
2 moms liked this
At least two weeks. They shouldn't be mad. Therapy clients come and go. That's the nature of the business.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I guess you are right, it should be just part if their job.  The last time the gal just took it so personally, like she was not good enough or did something wrong.  She was fighting back tears and it was awkward.  Maybe since this is such a scheduling issue it will go better.  I hate hurting feelings.

Quoting mypbandj: At least two weeks. They shouldn't be mad. Therapy clients come and go. That's the nature of the business.

Stephw1110
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I would let them know as soon as you can.  They may be able to work with you are find something else that works or they may be able to teach you some of the therapy techniques they use that way you can continue some of the things they do at home.

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:51 AM

He won't be without.  We're just moving him from the clinic 45 minutes away to the one 2 minutes from me.  We can't keep doing the drive with the other we will have going on.

Quoting Stephw1110:

I would let them know as soon as you can.  They may be able to work with you are find something else that works or they may be able to teach you some of the therapy techniques they use that way you can continue some of the things they do at home.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly I gave no notice. I told them we would not be returning. In my case though my son hated them and would scream for half of the therapy. So I wasn't worried about hurt feelings lol

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:54 AM

I don't blame you one bit there! 

Quoting JTMOM422:

Honestly I gave no notice. I told them we would not be returning. In my case though my son hated them and would scream for half of the therapy. So I wasn't worried about hurt feelings lol

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh I am sure they were glad to get rid of him too LOL. Now his new therapy center is another thing. He loves it. He complies. He tries to get all the mom's in the waiting room to take him back to therapy hahaha. He tells them "come on, let's go"

Quoting Momof4AEMW:

I don't blame you one bit there! 

Quoting JTMOM422:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)