Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Not sure what to do now

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM
  • 14 Replies

Per our OT we cut xbox/computer time waay back. He used to get an hour 5 days a week plus whatever he snuck in the mornings (don't judge please). Then I moved him to 1 hour 4 days a week, then 3 days (Fri, Sat, Sun) and finally I'm capping xbox at 45 minutes and trying to get down to 30min BUT he is up to 6 days again (long story and it's only for another 2 weeks and 30min starts tomorrow).

Here's the issue. I don't mind the 30min a day. I DO mind him waking up and sneaking around at 3am to play computer games which include an RPG game call Perfect World (similar to WoW) which dh leaves up on his computer and he can now get to things like abcmouse.com or nickjr.com via internet (very smart 5yr).

He literally wakes up at any given time at night to get up and play games. It used to be the ipad but the charge cord broke and we haven't replaced it BUT HE has replaced that with the computer. I send him outside as often as possible which 99% of the time results in "I'm bored" within 5minutes max. For instance yesterday he was up before 330am and didn't nap until forced around 3. He normally doesn't nap and never really did as a baby.

Any ideas on what else we can do? ADHD and ASD. I think his OT is running out of ideas and we don't have a behavioral therapist because he's booked until forever. I'm at a loss. I barely sleep between him and his 11 month old brother. Screen time seems to trigger a lot of meltdowns and outbursts so I have no idea how to cut back without issue or how to redirect, or get him to sleep. I'm just very frustrated.

by on Jun. 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Can you let the computer/game time be as rewards only?  Is that an option?  I'm sorry things are rough right now!  My son is 5 years old as well but is very low functioning so he doesn't understand games like that, so I don't have experience with that.  Hugs!

ballerina.2006
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:05 PM
That's what we are working towards. It's getting him through the withdrawls that is painful. Even when we don't mess with his screen time schedule he gets up between 2-6 to play.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Can you let the computer/game time be as rewards only?  Is that an option?  I'm sorry things are rough right now!  My son is 5 years old as well but is very low functioning so he doesn't understand games like that, so I don't have experience with that.  Hugs!

milfanyway
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:05 PM
Lock everything up. Or turn off your router. That will keep him off the electronics when he isn't supposed to be
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Good idea.

Quoting milfanyway: Lock everything up. Or turn off your router. That will keep him off the electronics when he isn't supposed to be

ballerina.2006
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM
I forgot I could enable parental controls on our router! I'll set that up. I'll need to find a good hiding place for the xbox controllers and hope he doesn't find them.

Quoting milfanyway: Lock everything up. Or turn off your router. That will keep him off the electronics when he isn't supposed to be
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree here.  I don't think the half hour or hour a day is a big deal, it is the access problem at night.  I'd turn off the wifi and lock up controllers and computer mouse where he can not get to them unless you say it is ok.  

Hugs!  Good luck!

lovemyguys
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:09 PM

My DS is a game fiend too. It was managable when we lived in our little town house because he couldn't sneak out of his room without us hearing but since we bought a house, he went nuts! He was sneaking down stairs all hours of the night and everytime we turned our backs he was in a different room with some tech he swiped. We literally had to watch him every second. It was ridiculous.

I finally got fed up when it started seriously effecting school because of the lack of sleep. I deleted his mindcraft account. Talk about the most colosal melt down EVER. But once he calmed down, I told him he had to earn it back by abiding by the screen time rules and getting his grades back up. In addition, we put a password on the computer and lock it down every night. All portable electronics have to be surrendered to our room after dinner and all game controlers are unpluged and put in my dresser at night. He has gotten somewhat under control. Got his grades back up. And started sleeping through the night but he is still not abiding by time limites so he has not earned mindcraft back yet. But it's getting much better.

ballerina.2006
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM
Has he ever snuck into your room and swiped a device or controller? We've dealt that a few times, including dh's phone which is his alarm on a work night. That was almost a bad situation.

Quoting lovemyguys:

My DS is a game fiend too. It was managable when we lived in our little town house because he couldn't sneak out of his room without us hearing but since we bought a house, he went nuts! He was sneaking down stairs all hours of the night and everytime we turned our backs he was in a different room with some tech he swiped. We literally had to watch him every second. It was ridiculous.

I finally got fed up when it started seriously effecting school because of the lack of sleep. I deleted his mindcraft account. Talk about the most colosal melt down EVER. But once he calmed down, I told him he had to earn it back by abiding by the screen time rules and getting his grades back up. In addition, we put a password on the computer and lock it down every night. All portable electronics have to be surrendered to our room after dinner and all game controlers are unpluged and put in my dresser at night. He has gotten somewhat under control. Got his grades back up. And started sleeping through the night but he is still not abiding by time limites so he has not earned mindcraft back yet. But it's getting much better.

lovemyguys
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes he has. That's one reason I came down so hard and deleted his favorite game. I felt I had to make it clear to him he can't delberately disobey without there being consequences. He was punished by removing his favorite game but he has the oportunity every day to earn his game time for that day adn when he get's everything under control and consistantly obeys the rules he can have it back. So, we are trying to keep him focused on the positive and working towards earning it back.

Quoting ballerina.2006: Has he ever snuck into your room and swiped a device or controller? We've dealt that a few times, including dh's phone which is his alarm on a work night. That was almost a bad situation.
Quoting lovemyguys:

lovemyguys
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Funny, I was telling my mother in law about our coversation and she was saying my husband used to do the same things when he was a kid and she literally turned off the circuit braker to the living room at night LOL That's one way to do it. But, that was back before laptops and smart phones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)