Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

looking for friends for my autistic son

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:39 AM
  • 7 Replies

my son Jordan is 12yrs old and is extremely sensitive....i'm having an incredibly hard time locating autism support groups where we live.....jordan needs socialization and he wants friends....if you live in or near Longview/Kelso WA, get back to me...

Crystal 360-560-7964, crystal85015@yahoo.com

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
dawncs
by Dawn on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:27 AM

Have you thought of signing him up for Boy Scouts, Special Olympics, 4 H, or TheARC (www.thearc.org)? You could also sign him up for clubs and day camps that match his interests. It makes it easier for him to have a conversation and something in common with another. I have found it makes it easier to make friends at times following these ideas.

SamMom912
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Id also ask the social worker if he attends school if she has recommendations on who to reach out to. Perhaps the school offers a lunch bunch or some otehr social supports? Id also maybe contact some SLPs in your area (sppech/language pathologists) many have social skills groups.. Or may know of a place for you to check out. :) 

Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Welcome to the group.  Sorry, I'm Iowa.  Good luck!

net23mom
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Welcome to the group

Have you tried the autism speak resource page. I live out in a rural area in Texas. I had to extend my search to 50 miles to find anything.  I found out about people closer to my town this way. and acutally it turns out people i   was aquainted with thru dealings at work  just not on a personal bases that had children with autism. Using longviews zip . There were  some hits for Portland maybe once you contacted  some of those places you be able to hook up with some people closer to you that are in the same situation

lisa12121
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:12 AM

We are in NJ, but I highly recommend seeking out a local boy scout troop. My son has done wonders in scouts. The kids are all a bit awkward, and many also have ASD. I would check it out. In your area, Longview, there are two active troops, 301 and 702. You can do an online search to find out how to contact them and who they are chartered with (a local school, a church, etc.). You can bring your son to a meeting and see what you think. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Simran81
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Have u tried meetup.com? There are local groups for parents of children having ASD that meet at parks, have play dates, etc.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 17, 2014 at 6:01 AM

My son is 13 and I'd love to find him a good friend or two also. ..Wish I could help..I'm in NJ!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)