Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Sister in law just doesn't get it

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 3:20 PM
  • 13 Replies

Does anyone's kids care if their dad is at work or out of town? My sister in law seems to think my son cares. She only sees my son once a year! She asked how he is doing. I said "he doesn't seem like he cares". So she said "I think he does care, I know he loves his father". B could care less if his dad is home or not. He has said one time "daddy is at work" but he has not cried or anything. That is what I told her. She hasn't responded back. My son is not a daddy's boy. Yesterday my husband tried to sit down on the couch by him. B told him to "go away". B didn't even look up to tell his dad bye. She doesn't know anything. Blake loves being home for the summer. He got a new IPad mini and some new toys.

by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momof4AEMW
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 4:40 PM

My kids want dad around at night when they expect him to be, but if it is work hours they expect him not to be home.  I would think it would be the same if it was a travel job.  Kids get use to routines and the people in them.  I don't know what she wants you to do, all travel together for work?  I don't get where she is going.  That's his job.  Weird comment on her part I think.

ineedcoffeemom
by Brittaney on Jun. 16, 2014 at 5:11 PM

My daughter does notice when her daddy is missing. She does not cry for him and may not even cry at all, but it's he's on a business trip so he doesn't come home when he's supposed to, she will eat less and sometimes not go to sleep. I think she is waiting for him to come home. He is part of her routine. Now how they interact when he is home, she doesn't care, but he is supposed to be at home in the evenings and she notices otherwise.

If your son isn't showing any behavioral changes, then he probably is just fine with his dad not being around. But I think your sister in law is just hoping that's not true. Because it's nice to know you're missed, ya know?

wildchild.com
by Janine on Jun. 16, 2014 at 5:22 PM
My son loves having me all to himself Lol But he does enjoy spending time with his hopefully to be stepdad. His bio dad is no longer in the pic. Sadly he does ask for him . I let him know he loves him he's just very sick. (He's a drug addict)
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 16, 2014 at 6:20 PM

People need to mind their own business!  LOL!  My son loves his dad but doesn't really understand when he's gone.  Hugs!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:46 PM

My son gets excited when dad comes home from work but he never looks for him. When my husband has to leave town for a week my son never asks for him. My son loves my husband he just isn't phased if he is gone.

JennaPBug
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:25 PM

He doesn't say anything when my DHs gone for work 2 wks at a time. I think he just doesnt have the words to say how he feels, because he does look sad more when he's gone

Maxsmommy123
by Jamie on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:45 PM
My son is def affected when his dad is at work especially Mondays. He may not be able to ask for him but I do know he misses him.
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:59 AM

I don;t think anyone in my family gets it either, and your SIL is no exception. How can she make a statement like that when she never sees him or them together?

And D is out of school as of Friday and we can;t wait! We love Summer! I'm jealous over the IPad mini!

PogoPalOj
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 6:08 AM

My husband had to go on workman's comp at one time.  Our daughter loved having him home.  Of course she missed him, but she knew this was the job he had.  Children ajust better than adults.  I grew up military.  My husband was going to be gone months or even years at a time.  She just doesn't understand the lifestyle and probably couldn't handle it.  It taks a certain kind of spouse to be the wife of military or truck driver.

shugerbit
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 6:58 AM
My son has no problem with daddy leaving, he will wave and blow kisses and lock the door behind him. It is part of the routine, he works over night so he leaves then we go to bed. If it was me leaving without him he cries to come with me (can you tell that isn't part of our routine lol, mommy alone time). He even cries when we drop my nephews off after they visit. But he doesn't really care that daddy is gone, but does get excited when he hears the keys outside the door.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)